Message from the Residency Program Director
Welcome to the Department of Anesthesiology at Montefiore Medical Center
The Anesthesiology Residency Program, accredited since 1960, has enjoyed strong support and sustained growth since its inception. The Montefiore Health System, an ACO with 11 hospitals and 180 locations throughout the Bronx and Westchester, is committed to providing high quality healthcare to all populations that it serves.
Residents train at the Moses Campus for about 65 percent of their residency. They spend about 21 percent of their training at Weiler Hospital (a 400-bed facility), about 2 percent at the Metro Hutch Center (an ambulatory center) and about 2 percent at Wakefield Hospital (a 400-bed Orthopedic facility), all located in the Bronx.
Approximately 75 percent of our resident graduates enter a fellowship. There are 1.5 million people living in the Bronx — the most ethnically and racially diverse area in the United States. Of those residents under age 65, 10 percent live with a disability. Fourteen percent of the population is uninsured, and 31 percent live below the federal poverty level. Of the 1 million Westchester County residents, 5 percent live with a disability and 10 percent live below the poverty line.
Our Anesthesiology Residents participate in comprehensive clinical activities delivered across the full range of socioeconomic strata with an emphasis on inner-city, historically underserved populations. They are trained to identify health care disparities and negotiate the complexities of access and available resources. The program values teamwork, innovation, compassion and integrity. It emphasizes that continuous personal development forms the foundation for quality patient care, academic contribution and service. The faculty is committed to providing an effective learning environment through collaborative development of the program, faculty and resident body.
The Anesthesiology Residency Program is dedicated to:
- Providing a continuum of education that is practical and relevant to the needs of our unique and diverse patient population.
- Preparing residents to be leaders in perioperative care and patient safety.
- Inculcating a sense of social justice through the practice of our specialty.
- Facilitating continuous acquisition of knowledge, clinical skills and a personal commitment to excellence in order to treat, guide and advocate for patients.
- Preparing residents to work in an interdisciplinary environment by modeling professional behavior with a focus on communication and collaboration.
- Contributing to innovation in academic and clinical anesthesiology through simulation, research and mentorship.
- Encouraging lifelong learning and reflection.
- Enhancing awareness and maintenance of personal well-being.
Please contact us with any questions about the program.
Sujatha Ramachandran, MD
Residency Program Director
Department of Anesthesiology
Montefiore Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Anesthesiology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine