Observerships for Medical Students and External Residents
Information for Medical Students
For students interested in clerkships or internships with Montefiore Medical Center, please contact the Albert Einstein College of Medicine’s Office of the Registrar directly. Clerkships and internships will be arranged through the AAMC Visiting Student Learning Opportunities program.
About Elective Clerkships with the Department of Anesthesiology:
The Department of Anesthesiology offers a one-month elective clerkship for 4th-year medical students. During this clerkship, students will become an integral part of the Anesthesiology team at Montefiore Medical Center.
Upon completion of the rotation, students will be able to:
- Perform preoperative evaluations for ASA class I and II patients.
- Develop a simple anesthetic plan with the assistance of a resident or attending.
- Place IV catheters and provide airway management with the guidance of a resident or attending.
- Discuss anesthetic agents and their pharmacology.
- Understand the professional role of an anesthesiologist.
During this rotation, students will gain exposure to anesthetic subspecialties, such as Neuro, Regional, Obstetric, and Pediatric Anesthesia and will develop a basic understanding of each of the subspecialty areas. Students are assigned a faculty and resident mentor with whom they work closely to learn the foundations of anesthesiology. Students are taught procedures including IV placement, bag mask ventilation, supra glottic airway device placements, and intubations. Students also learn fluid and blood management.
Additionally, students have regularly scheduled didactic sessions on basic pharmacology of anesthetic drugs and adjuncts, physiology, and the basics of subspecialty anesthetic care. At the end of their elective rotation, each student is expected to present an interesting case that they have observed or participated in.
We also offer advanced clerkships in cardiothoracic anesthesiology and pain management.
Information for External Residents
Individuals currently enrolled in an anesthesiology residency program outside of Montefiore Medical Center have the opportunity to apply for an observer ship with the Montefiore Einstein Department of Anesthesiology to enhance their training.
Observership Application Process:
- Identify a supervising physician within the subspecialty of interest with whom you will work.
- Email your CV and requested observership dates to Debbie Lopez, Anesthesiology Graduate Medical Education Administrator, at email@example.com.
- There is an application fee of $100, which must be submitted to the Montefiore House Staff Office.
- Welcome Message from the Chair
- Services and Treatments
- Pain Management
- Education and Training
- Anesthesiology Research
- Locations & Contact
- Anesthesiology Newsletters