Infertility - Reproductive Medicine - In Vitro Fertilization - Bronx - New York City - Montefiore Medical Center
In Vitro Fertilization (IVF) offers couples who have experienced difficulties achieving pregnancy a viable fertility solution. Since 1986, the Montefiore Institute for Reproductive Medicine and Health (MIRMH) has been a recognized leader in this field. Our vast experience and ongoing research endeavors enable us to offer the highest quality care and a thorough education to our patients in a relaxed environment.
We provide counseling about the benefits of IVF as well as other treatments to every patient and take time to discuss each in detail. For some couples, IVF is the appropriate starting point, especially if the woman has endometriosis, a severe tubal disease, or ovarian failure. However, many others can achieve a successful pregnancy through different treatment therapies. Our goal is to equip you with the correct information for your individual case, so you are comfortable with your choices in pursuing parenthood.
IVF is a procedure in which eggs are retrieved via a non-surgical technique and combined with the sperm in our embryology laboratory. The fertilized eggs are then transferred back into the female's uterus, where the embryo develops in the same ordinance as in an unassisted conception. From the ultrasound to the embryo transfer, all procedures are conducted on site. The process involves four stages:
- Ovarian Stimulation and Monitoring: At this phase, our goal is to maximize the number of mature follicles (fluid-filled sacs), which harvest the eggs. Hormones are given in the form of injections to increase the number of ripened eggs produced. We then continuously monitor the woman's ovarian response and adjust the hormone dose accordingly.
- Egg Retrieval: Multiple eggs are then removed from the woman, using ultrasound guidance. This procedure is performed while the patient is under sedation and takes approximately 20 minutes.
- Sperm Collection and Fertilization: A few hours prior to the egg retrieval, a semen sample is collected from the male. The oocytes, or eggs, are placed in a culture medium and combined with the sperm when the timing is optimal for fertilization. The eggs are examined the next day under a microscope to verify if fertilization has occurred. If successful, the embryos are ready to transfer to the uterus.
- Embryo Transfer: Either three or four of the best embryos are placed into a small tube and transferred directly into the uterus. This stage is much like a regular pelvic exam. The remaining healthy embryos may be cryopreserved (frozen) for future use.
Services and Treatments
- Gynecologic Oncology
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fetal Medicine
- Family Planning and Birth Control
- Preconceptual Counseling and Testing
- Reproductive Genetics and Prenatal Genetic Testing
- Genetic Counseling
- Group Prenatal Care
- High-Risk Pregnancy
Infertility - Reproductive Medicine
- About Us
- Lifestyle Modification Tips
- Treatments and Procedures
- Getting Started
- Infertility – Assisted Reproductive Technologies (ART) Program
- Laboratory Services
- Fibroid Center
- Menopause and Aging
- Programs and Services
- Meet the OB/GYN Team