Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Sports Medicine Fellowship
Our Sports Medicine Fellowship is a one-year, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-accredited program that is part of the Rehabilitation Medicine core program.
The program, established in 2014, operates with the mission of providing the best available healthcare to athletes of various ages and backgrounds in the care to athletes and any individual with a musculoskeletal injury. We also assist with the diagnosis and management of concussions. We serve persons across the age spectrum from adolescence to the elderly from various backgrounds in the Bronx and Westchester, as well as the Hudson Valley, while helping physicians develop expertise in the area of sports medicine.
The Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Montefiore is unique in that it provides athletes and non-athletes with comprehensive care across the rehabilitation spectrum. This includes prehabilitation- for example, making recommendations for training programs to prevent injuries in athletes; management of acute injuries in collaboration with the emergency department team and orthopedic surgeons; and rehabilitation care in collaboration with the core physical medicine and rehabilitation team, including cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation and balance rehabilitation and therapists from the appropriate disciplines.
Why Sports Medicine Fellows Choose Montefiore
We offer three positions a year. Clinical activity and fellowship training takes place at Montefiore, Jacobi Medical Center and North Central Bronx Hospital, Lehman College and at the various Bronx high schools that participate in the Montefiore School Health System. Clinical activities include:
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Sports medicine clinic
- Four months of Orthopedics and PM&R Sports Medicine within Jacobi Medical Center and North Central Bronx Hospital- the focus of this is on acute injury management, including fractures and dislocations
- Four weeks of Orthopedic Sports Medicine service- including observing/assisting in operative procedures
- An ongoing Pain Medicine experience inclusive of evaluation of patients and performance of basic interventional spine procedures.
- Two weeks of Emergency Medicine.
Educational activities for sports medicine fellows include:
- Weekly lectures from multidisciplinary services—PM&R sports attendings, sports orthopedic surgeons, cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation specialists, neuropsychologists, cardiologists, exercise physiologists, etc.
- PM&R Sports Medicine journal club every two weeks.
- Weekly conferences with Orthopedics.
- Regularly scheduled hands on ultrasound didactic sessions; all fellows should be eligible and feel comfortable enough to take the certification examination (Registered in Musculoskeletal™ (RMSK™) Sonography)..
- Bi-weekly multidisciplinary spine conference and Electromyography case conference.
- Weekly physical medicine and rehabilitation grand rounds.
Apply for the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Montefiore
We also invite prospective fellows to contact our us for additional information: