Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Sports Medicine Fellowship
Our Sports Medicine Fellowship is a one-year, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education-accredited program that is part of the Rehabilitation Medicine core program.
The program, established in 2014, operates with the mission of providing the best available healthcare to athletes of various ages and backgrounds in the Bronx and Westchester, while helping physicians develop expertise in the area of sports medicine.
The Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Montefiore is unique in that it provides athletes with comprehensive care from prehabilitation—including performance enhancement and management of acute injury in collaboration with the emergency department team; orthopedic surgeon—and rehabilitation care in collaboration with the core physical medicine and rehabilitation team, including cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation and balance rehabilitation.
Why Sports Medicine Fellows Choose Montefiore
We offer two positions a year. Clinical activity and fellowship training takes place at Montefiore, Lehman College, and at the various Bronx high schools that participate in the Montefiore School Health System. Clinical rotations include:
- Ten months of sports medicine clinic, including a half day with interventional spine research.
- One month of Orthopedic Sports clinic.
- Two weeks of Emergency Medicine.
- Two weeks of School Health System
Educational activities for sports medicine fellows include:
- Weekly didactics from multidisciplinary services—sports attending, sports orthopedic surgeons, cardiac/pulmonary rehabilitation specialists, neuropsychologist, cardiologist, exercise physiologists, etc.
- Weekly Sports Medicine journal club.
- Interdisciplinary Sports Case conference with Orthopedic Sports.
- Weekly Hands on ultrasound didactic sessions; all fellow will take certification examination (Registered in Musculoskeletal™ (RMSK™) Sonography).
- Bi-weekly multidisciplinary spine conference and Electromyography case conference.
- Weekly physical medicine and rehabilitation grand rounds.
Apply for the Sports Medicine Fellowship Program at Montefiore
We also invite prospective fellows to contact our core faculty for additional information: