Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
When our patients require the long-term use of a wheelchair or other mobility device, Montefiore’s Wheelchair Clinic helps locate accredited vendors to provide the equipment needed to maximize function and mobility, regardless of the disability.
Our specialized service is available to assist patients in need of a wheelchair as part of their rehabilitation for conditions such as:
- Spinal cord injuries resulting in paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Cerebral Palsy
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
- Cerebral vascular event
- Severe congestive heart failuren
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Congenital dysmorphisms, including conjoined twins
Our comprehensive evaluation and education process is designed to help you choose and then comfortably manage your equipment. This process includes:
- Extensive interviews to understand your needs at home, work and in your leisure time.
- A thorough evaluation of your physical strengths and level of function, pain issues and other unique considerations.
- Education on the most effective management of your equipment, including proper seating and positioning.
- Consistent long-term follow up care that allows us to closely monitor your progress and make any adjustments, repairs or upgrades to your equipment, should they be necessary.
- Assistance with paperwork and requirements necessary to obtain equipment precisely suited to you.
Our team of experts—including physiatrists, occupational therapists and accredited vendors—work on both an inpatient and outpatient basis to determine which equipment will best meet individual needs, objectives and aspirations.
We have extensive knowledge of the full spectrum of equipment alternatives, ranging from simple wheelchairs to special need chairs, powered chairs, and scooters.