Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Children and adolescents with neuromuscular and musculoskeletal disorders, spinal cord injuries, developmental disorders and other conditions, greatly benefit from ongoing rehabilitation.
Our board certified pediatric physiatrists work with children and adolescents with a range of conditions, including:
- Cerebral palsy
- Autism-related motor issues
- Spina bifida
- Neuromuscular disorders
- Acquired brain injuries
- Spinal Cord injuries
- Genetic Syndromes
- Sports Injuries
- Limb deficiencies
- Gait abnormalities
- Musculoskeletal conditions
- Brachial plexus palsy
Pediatric Rehabilitation Services
Our pediatric physiatrists create your child’s customized comprehensive treatment plan in collaboration with input from a team of specialists. This multidisciplinary team includes physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech pathologists, pediatricians, neurologists, orthopaedic surgeons, prosthetists and orthotists, other clinicians throughout Montefiore, as well as experts at our Children’s Evaluation and Rehabilitation Center.
All members of our team operate with unified goals to:
- Partner with you and your child in meaningful ways to maximize the benefits of ongoing rehabilitation.
- Maximize growth and development.
- Prevent further impairment or complications.
- Increase your child’s level of independent activity in family, school and recreational activities.
- Botox Injections under electrical stimulation and ultrasound guidance
- Peripheral Alcohol Nerve blocks under ultrasound guidance
- Intrathecal Baclofen Pump Refills
- Electrodiagnostic studies
- Prosthetic and Orthotic management
- Wheelchair evaluation and management
We also provide the input needed to ensure your child’s smooth transition as they age out of the pediatric system; a must for young people living with pediatric onset disabilities and other conditions that require long-term rehabilitation.