Montefiore School Health Program -The Bronx and Southern Westchester County
The Montefiore School Health Program (MSHP)—the largest and most comprehensive school-based health program in the country—provides coordinated primary and preventive healthcare to public elementary, middle and high school students throughout The Bronx and Southern Westchester County. One in four Bronx students are now at a school with the MSHP.
Interdisciplinary Primary Healthcare
MSHP partners with students’ primary and specialty providers to tailor services to the needs of each individual student. As students in our program approach adolescence, we continue to educate and empower them to take responsibility for their own care, creating a healthier school and community environment.
Founded in 1983, the program currently operates in 33 locations, serving 75 schools to deliver comprehensive care in four clinical areas:
Medical services are provided by our nurse practitioners and physicians, with the support of licensed practical nurses and patient care technicians. At the health centers, our patients can expect to receive:
- Preventive care, including well-child visits and physical exams, immunizations, hearing and vision testing, and psychosocial and health risk behavior screenings.
- Urgent care for sore throats, headaches, cold and allergy symptoms and menstrual cramps.
- First aid and evaluation for injuries and other emergencies.
- Management of chronic illnesses such as asthma, diabetes and obesity, as well as referrals to subspecialists as needed.
Our providers collaborate with outside providers, providing insight on the services provided in the school setting and proactively seeking health information.
For adolescents participating in our program, we offer confidential reproductive healthcare services when needed, including pregnancy testing, pregnancy prevention and family planning options counseling as well as screening for and diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
Mental health services—provided by our highly-trained licensed psychologists and social workers—are available to address the emotional needs of children and families through confidential evaluation, individual and group therapy, family/parent work and crisis intervention.
Treatment is available to address mental health concerns, including depression, anxiety, trauma, bereavement and family issues. Our providers also engage in preventive mental health initiatives to encourage the development of healthy relationships and prevent dating violence.
Our dentists and dental assistants are available on site at a growing number of our program locations. In addition to preventive services (dental exams, cleanings and sealants are provided to elementary, middle and high school students), on-site X-rays are available at high schools, allowing us to provide additional services such as restorative dental care.
Our community-wide public health programming is designed to educate, empower and support students, parents and families to develop healthy habits and take responsibility for improving their overall health and wellness. Our community health organizers (CHOs) work in partnership with community-based organizations and the New York City Department of Education to coordinate disease prevention programs, education workshops, youth development programs and outreach initiatives.
Community partnerships are invaluable to meeting the needs of the schoolchildren who rely on our program—particularly our priority service areas.
- Community Relations
- Community Development
School Health Program
- Priority Service Areas: An Interdisciplinary Approach to Care
- Adlai E. Stevenson Campus
- Bronx Regional High School
- Christopher Columbus Campus
- DeWitt Clinton High School Campus
- Evander Childs Educational Campus
- Herbert H. Lehman Campus
- I.S. 98/Herman Ridder Campus
- I.S. 174
- I.S. 217, Entrada Academy and South Bronx Classical Charter School
- J.H.S. 151/KIPP Academy HS
- M. S. 45
- M.S. 113
- M. S. 142
- M.S. 145
- Morris High School Campus
- Mott Haven High School Campus
- New Settlement Community Campus
- P. S. 8
- P. S. 28
- P.S. 55 & Success Academy Bronx II
- P. S. 85
- P. S. 105
- P.S. 147
- P.S. 198
- P.S. 199
- P. S./M. S. 95
- South Bronx Campus
- Theodore Roosevelt Educational Campus
- William Howard Taft Campus
- Walton High School Campus