Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Whether you are a serious athlete, weekend warrior, high school track star or casual jogger, if you are suffering from chronic wear and tear or an acute injury, our sports medicine team can help to get you get back in the game.
Our physiatrists treat a number of diverse musculoskeletal and nervous system problems that can result from participation in athletics or other leisure activities. We can help you manage and recover from a number of conditions, including:
- Concussions and other brain injury
- Rotator cuff injury
- Cervical and lumbar sprain or strain
- Frozen shoulder
- Shoulder impingement syndrome
- Burner or stinger injuries to the nerve supply of your upper arms
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- Tennis elbow
- Golfer’s Elbow
- Wrist and hand arthritis
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Sacroiliac joint dysfunction
- Knee ligament sprains
- Achilles tendon ruptures
- Ankle sprains
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Peripheral nerve entrapment syndrome
- Spinal cord injuries
Available treatment options include:
- Ultrasound-guided injections for pain.
- Taping and casting for musculoskeletal injuries.
- Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatments.
- Diagnosis and management of sports-related concussions via computerized neurocognitive test (ImPACT test).
- Exercise prescription.
- Referral to occupational and physical therapy.
Multidisciplinary Approach: Superior Results for You
Our sports medicine specialists work closely with occupational therapists, physical therapists, exercise physiologists, sports psychologists and clinical nutritionists, as well as orthopaedic surgeons, primary care physicians and experts in our Human Performance Laboratory to ensure a comprehensive approach to care.