Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Montefiore’s Oncology (Cancer) Rehabilitation Program is a comprehensive, customized multidisciplinary program that provides outpatient treatments for musculoskeletal and other functional complications that are due to various cancers and their treatments.
Our specialists understand that cancer and its treatments, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can result in significant physical and psychological impairments that affect your ability to actively engage in life at home, work and in the community. Our experts have developed screening protocols for all cancer patients to determine potential rehabilitation needs.
We can work with you from the moment you are diagnosed and continue as long as you need our care. Our highly skilled specialists create customized outpatient rehabilitation programs to help combat various impairments, including but not limited to:
- Diminished physical strength
- Neuropathic or musculoskeletal pain
- Reduced range of motion of joints
- Gait and balance dysfunction
- Osteopenia and osteoporosis
- Chemotherapy induced peripheral neuropathy
- Radiation fibrosis syndrome
- Brachial plexopathy
- Sensory deficits
- Cognitive problems
- Decreased cardiovascular capacity
A Caring, Interdisciplinary Team Focused On You
Our multidisciplinary cancer rehabilitation team—comprised of physiatrists, physical therapists, occupational therapists and speech pathologists—offers a range of therapies designed to build strength and endurance, bolster your energy, minimize stress and return you to physical and emotional well-being.
Our physical therapists implement an individualized training program to reduce fatigue and optimize function. Our occupational therapists work with you to improve your independence with daily activities such as bathing and cooking. Our speech pathologists address swallowing difficulties and other related issues. We also collaborate closely with your oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and other specialists.
Working with our rehabilitation experts may allow you to experience a fuller and faster recovery. We offer you the guidance and therapies to help you to:
- Restore and maintain the highest possible level of function, independence and quality of life.
- Improve your endurance and mobility.
- Reduce or eliminate pain related to your diagnosis and treatments.
- Alleviate sleep problems.
- Engage in a healthy, active and enjoyable lifestyle
- Facilitate a return to work and engagement in family, social and community life.