Reducing Pollution and Fuel Costs
Fuel and energy efficiency is a priority. We are always examining new ways to provide “green” options to the associates, patients and visitors that depend on our transportation services. Current initiatives include:
- Montefiore has purchased several hybrids vehicles averaging up to 50 miles per gallon. When additional vehicles need to be replaced, more efficient models will also be purchased.
- Montefiore is also investigating converting several diesel-fueled vehicles to compressed natural gas or gasoline-fueled vehicles.
- We use a geographic positioning system (GPS) to track vehicles' routes and send our most efficient vehicles on the farthest routes.
- Our Transportation Department is also in the process of upgrading systems to track vehicle miles traveled, emissions released into the environment and maintenance needs so vehicles operate at peak efficiency.
- We do have Electric Vehicle charging stations-- 2 at Moses and 2 at Wakefield.
Alternative transportation options are available for those looking to reduce their carbon footprint:
- The #4 and D train lines are located less than one mile from our Moses Campus.
- Employee shuttle service is offered several times per day to our major campuses.
- 28 bicycle racks are located throughout all of our campuses.
- We have partnered with New York's 511 Rideshare program, which offers free assistance for carpooling and public transportation. This arrangement make commutes more efficient, reducing the number of single-occupant vehicles on the road, leading to less pollution.