MAtCH Transition Program
Congenital heart disease (CHD) represents a medical challenge that spans the life of a patient from birth through adolescence and into adulthood.
The shift from adolescence to adulthood can be filled with uncertainty for people with congenital heart disease (CHD). Our MAtCH Transition Program is here to help. As part of this unique program, our CHD specialists and their pediatric counterparts at the Children’s Hospital at Montefiore work in tandem to provide a smooth transition for patients who are advancing from pediatric care into adulthood.
This gradual process is aided, in part, by the significant knowledge and experience our MAtCH Program Director Dr. Daphne Hsu, MD—the only physician in the tri-state area exclusively trained in CHD, pediatric cardiology and adult cardiovascular disease. This advanced training in both pediatric and adult cardiology makes Dr. Hsu exceptionally qualified to provide comprehensive care for ACHD patients as they transition from adolescence to adulthood.
Our Transition Program gives patients (typically those 15-17 years of age*) the tools needed to:
- Become active and educated about the importance of life-long specialized cardiac care.
- Manage as an adult living with CHD. With our team’s help, patients gain the insight needed to make informed choices about a range of experiences, including exercise, career or job counseling, medication coverage, sexual health and pregnancy, life insurance, nutrition, support groups and psychosocial issues.
The time at which a patient is transitioned to the MAtCH program is left up to the primary cardiologist and the patient. There is no set age when the transition process beings. Every patient situation is different; some may need more time than others before changing physicians who can provide long-term care.*
- Clinical Cardiology
- Diseases and Conditions
Services and Treatments
- Montefiore Advanced Lung Disease Program
- The James Scheuer, MD Division of Cardiology
- Diagnostic Tests for Heart and Vascular Disease
- Treatments/Procedures for Heart and Vascular Disease
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Comprehensive Heart Valve Repair Program
- Tarrytown Cardiology Associates
- Bronx Medical Cardiac
- New Rochelle Cardiology
- Montefiore Einstein Pulmonary Hypertension Program
- Heart and Vascular Disease Prevention and Wellness
- Research and Clinical Trials
- About Us
- Support the Heart and Vascular Center