The Healing Arts for Caregiver Well-Being
Taking care of others can bring gratification and also can bring stress, especially if we do not have the opportunity to take care of ourselves.
Studies show that long-term stress can affect people’s health and well-being. It is important both for ourselves and for those who depend on us that we take the time to relax and replenish.
The healing arts can support caregivers in many ways. Mind-body relaxation techniques, music therapy, art therapy, expressive writing, and other approaches have been studied and applied in healthcare settings as safe, effective strategies to:
- Build personal resilience
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase feelings of connection and positivity
- Facilitate the processing of grief and bereavement
Resources for Caregivers
- Relaxation Hotline—Take a quick break to listen to one of four brief relaxation tracks online or at 718-920-CALM.
- Healing Loss Workshop—A workshop retreat for Montefiore associates to help you process loss you have experienced in both personal and professional contexts.
- “Caring for Yourself While Caregiving” Guide—A resource guide in English and Spanish to help people caring for a loved one also care for themselves.