Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences - Residency - Application Process - New York City - Montefiore Medical Center

Medical students are welcome to enroll in a fourth year away elective at the Montefiore Moses campus. During the one-month elective, medical students will have the opportunity to gain hands-on exposure to comprehensive ophthalmology, as well as the wide variety of sub-specialties, including cornea, glaucoma, neuro-ophthalmology, oculoplastics, pediatrics and vitreoretinal disease.

Working alongside our residents, students learn the general ophthalmology exam, including slit-lamp and indirect ophthalmology examinations, as well as basic refraction techniques.

The 4-week elective will take place at the Henkind clinic on the first floor of the Medical Arts Pavilion at the Moses campus. Students attend all weekly didactic lectures, conferences, and grand rounds. Students observe surgeries in the operating rooms. Students are encouraged to begin working-up patients individually under the close guidance of a senior resident early on in the rotation. Additionally, students are required to present 1-2 cases of patients they saw. Medical students will be evaluated by residents and faculty based on their participation, clinical knowledge and oral presentation skills. Feedback will be given on an on-going basis so as to maximize learning and allow students to address any questions.

How to Apply

Albert Einstein College of Medicine students, please email Margaret Kealy.

Students in the United States and Canada must apply through the Visiting Students Application Service.