Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences – Disease and Conditions – New York City – Montefiore Medical Center
The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at Montefiore Medical Center is dedicated to helping patients improve and maintain their vision. We offer treatment and services across a broad spectrum of diseases and disorders that affect the eyes. These include:
- A number of refractive errors that affect vision, including nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism
- Macular degeneration, an eye condition commonly in older adults characterized by loss of vision in the center of the eye
- Glaucoma, an eye disorder in which the optic nerve is damaged, permanently damaging vision in the affected eye and leading to complete blindness if left untreated.
- Uveitis, or the swelling and irritation of the eye's middle layer
- Cataracts, a clouding or opaque area over the lens of the eye--an area that is normally transparent.
- Eye conditions associated with diabetes, such as diabetic retinopathy, a disease in which changes to the blood vessels around the retina can cause vision loss or blindness
- Optic neuritis, an inflammation of the optic nerve
- Eye trauma and infections
- Strabismus (misalignment of eyes)
- Pediatric ophthalmology