Montefiore Einstein Center for Heart and Vascular Care – Support Services for Heart and Vascular Disease – Cardiac Rehabilitation and Recovery - New York
When physicians recommend lifestyle changes that include exercise, many patients need a structured and supervised program in order to optimize their cardiac rehabilitation and recovery.
Comprehensive cardiac rehabilitation services at Montefiore begin with a complete medical evaluation and continue with prescribed and monitored exercise, cardiac risk factor modification, education, and counseling.
Our cardiac rehabilitation team is comprised of physicians who are board certified in Internal Medicine and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, as well as an exercise physiologist who has been certified by the American College of Sports Medicine. All rehabilitation issues can be addressed with the addition of physical therapy or occupational therapy when indicated.
Patients may be eligible for this program if they have had:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery, coronary angioplasty or a coronary stent
- A recent heart attack
- Stable angina pectoris (chest pain)
- Heart failure associated with coronary disease
An appropriately prescribed and closely monitored exercise program is the foundation of cardiac rehabilitation. Individualized muscle strengthening and cardiovascular conditioning programs are developed utilizing a variety of equipment, free weights, and isotonic machines.
All exercise takes place in a group setting, ensuring a supportive and fun environment for participants. Each session begins with a warm-up period, continues with conditioning, and concludes with a cool-down and stretching period. Patients are also taught how to monitor their own heart rates.
Informal nutritional counseling is also provided, and ongoing communication with the patient's primary care doctor and cardiologist continues throughout the duration of this program.
Read our Cardiac Rehabilitation Fact Sheet.
Fitness and Nutrition
TRANSFATS: Learn More
If you already have an appointment scheduled, you can save time by printing out the following forms and filling them out prior to arriving for your appointment.
- Clinical Cardiology
- Diseases and Conditions
Services and Treatments
- Montefiore Advanced Lung Disease Program
- The James Scheuer, MD Division of Cardiology
- Diagnostic Tests for Heart and Vascular Disease
Treatments/Procedures for Heart and Vascular Disease
- Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator
- Interventional Cardiology
- Surgical Services
- Support Services for Heart and Vascular Disease
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR)
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Comprehensive Heart Valve Repair Program
- Tarrytown Cardiology Associates
- Bronx Medical Cardiac
- New Rochelle Cardiology
- Montefiore Einstein Pulmonary Hypertension Program
- Heart and Vascular Disease Prevention and Wellness
- Research and Clinical Trials
- About Us
- Support the Heart and Vascular Center