Orthopedics - First Year
This is a PGY-4 or a PGY-6 rotation providing residents with a one-month orthopaedic experience.
The goal of this rotation is:
To understand fracture management.
To understand basic open techniques.
To gain basic knowledge of OT/PT role in management.
At the conclusion of this rotation, residents should:
- Understand basic fracture management including closed reduction techniques.
- Be familiar with open reduction internal fixation with plating through operative exposure to the procedure.
- Be familiar with the management of upper extremity problems in outpatient and inpatient settings including splinting and casting techniques.
- Understand techniques of fracture management so they may apply the principles to surgery performed by plastic surgeons.
- Understand another service’s approach to treatment of extremity trauma.