Jacobi Medical Center - Third Year
This is a PGY-6 or a PGY-8 rotation intended to give residents a three-month senior plastic surgery experience at Jacobi Medical Center. This Level 1 Trauma Center exposes residents to their own patients in a clinic population. The residents are in charge of a large group of plastic surgery patients in order to gain competence in preoperative planning, operative management, and postoperative care.
The goals of this rotation are:
- To allow the resident to participate in the management of complex reconstructions at a Level 1 Trauma Center, the regional burn unit and a busy resident-run plastic surgery clinic. While attending supervision is constant, the resident assumes a more advanced role in patient evaluation, management, planning, surgery and follow-up care.
- To demonstrate the proper management of plastic surgery patients on the wards and ED.
- To demonstrate the proper management of the post-operative patient.
- To perform plastic surgery procedures appropriate for level of training.
At the conclusion of the rotation, the chief resident should show competence and expertise in:
- Congenital defects of the head and neck, including clefts of the lip and palate, and craniofacial surgery.
- Neoplasms of the head and neck, including the oropharynx, and the importance of endoscopy in the management of these cases.
- Craniomaxillofacial trauma, including fractures.
- Aesthetic (cosmetic) surgery of the head and neck, trunk, and extremities.
- Plastic surgery of the breast.
- Surgery of the hand/upper extremities.
- Plastic surgery of the lower extremities.
- Plastic surgery of congenital and acquired defects of the trunk and genitalia.
- Burn management, acute and reconstructive.
- Microsurgical techniques applicable to plastic surgery.
- Reconstruction by tissue transfer, including flaps and grafts.
- Surgery of benign and malignant lesions of the skin and soft tissues.
Services and Treatments
- Breast Surgery
- General Surgery
- Pediatric Surgery
- Adolescent Bariatric Surgery
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Transplant Surgery
- Research and Clinical Trials
- Meet the Surgery Team