Year three is primarily devoted to outpatient work in the Adult Outpatient Department at Montefiore Medical Center. Residents evaluate and treat a diverse patient population, presenting with a variety of psychiatric disorders and psychosocial challenges. Disorders treated in this clinic include the various mood and anxiety disorders, personality disorders, psychotic disorders and psychiatric disorders associated with comorbid medical conditions or substance abuse. Treatment is provided in the context of a multidisciplinary team and several treatment modalities are utilized. During this year residents learn brief and long-term individual psychodynamic psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy, family and couples therapy, in addition to evidence based psychopharmacological approaches.
They develop the diagnostic and therapeutic skills necessary to care for a wide spectrum of outpatients, including the assessment and treatment of children and adolescents. Residents provide integrated psychotherapy and psychopharmacological treatments to their patients, and also work collaboratively in a shared care model with social workers, psychologists and psychology interns.
Resident intakes are directly observed and supervised in real time by an attending psychiatrist. In addition, residents are supervised weekly by a variety of clinicians with expertise in psychoanalytic, psychodynamic, or cognitive behavioral approaches. Psychopharmacology supervision also occurs weekly. Additionally, regular guidance by family, group, and other specialty supervisors is provided.
Take the Psychiatry Residency Training Program Virtual Tour
See why so many applicants choose Montefiore-Einstein
- Services and Treatments
- Outpatient Mental Health Services
- Outpatient Substance Abuse Services
- Psychology Internship Training Program
- Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- Autism & OCD Fellowship
- Child Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Fellowship
- Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship
- University Scholars Clinical and Research Fellowship
- Psychiatry Residency
- Psychiatry Research Institute
- University Behavioral Associates
- Montefiore-Einstein Psychiatry Associates