Department of Pharmacy - New York City - Montefiore Medical Center
The Department of Pharmacy provides a wide range of pharmacological services to four hospitals—Montefiore Hospital and Children’s Hospital at Montefiore (CHAM), Moses Campus; Weiler Hospital, Einstein Campus; and Wakefield Hospital, Wakefield Campus—as well as an ambulatory care network and the emergency departments.
Among other things, our department is notable for:
- Patient-centered care delivered through the Division of Pharmacotherapy
- An evolving decentralized interdisciplinary practice
- Our Center for Pharmacotherapy Research and Quality, dedicated to high-quality outcomes research and performance improvement initiatives
- Academic appointments at Albert Einstein College of Medicine and local schools of pharmacy
- An investigational drug service
The pharmacy staff is composed of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns, support personnel and pharmacist managers. These include executive managers, operational managers, clinical pharmacy specialists and four Post Graduate Year 1 (PGY1) pharmacy residents and one Post Graduate Year 2 (PGY2) resident in infectious diseases.
Take the Pharmacy Residency Programs Virtual Tour
See why so many applicants choose Montefiore-Einstein
Our department is dedicated to patient care and focused on achieving positive patient outcomes through drug therapy. This includes:
- Providing high-quality pharmacotherapy services that foster the efficacy, safety and cost-effectiveness of drug use
- Providing comprehensive pharmacotherapy consultation to both patients and medical professionals
- Promoting teaching internships and residency programs to educate and train future pharmacists
- Participating in cutting-edge scientific research programs in order to better understand how the human body functions and to alleviate disease
- Participating in several Collaborative Drug Therapy Management programs with Montefiore physicians
- Promoting pharmacy as an essential component of the healthcare team
Did You Know?
- The Pharmacy at Montefiore boasts the first pharmacy residency in New York City (established in 1968), a PGY1 program accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- Current Montefiore leaders have held leadership positions in the New York State Council of Health-system Pharmacists (NYSCHP), as well as other local, state and national pharmacy professional organizations. The Council represents New York State pharmacists who practice in ambulatory, long-term, managed, home and acute care settings. There are approximately 2,000 NYSCHP members along with a well-established network of leaders serving on the NYSCHP Board of Directors, NYSCHP committees and chapter offices in the 11 local chapters in New York State.