Department of Pharmacy
The Department of Pharmacy provides a wide range of pharmaceutical services to four hospitals— Moses, Einstein and Wakefield Campuses, the Children's Hospital at Montefiore—an ambulatory care network, outpatients and emergency department patients.
Among other things, our department is notable for:
- Direct patient care clinical pharmacy services
- An evolving interdisciplinary practice
- Academic appointments at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and local schools of pharmacy and nursing
- Investigational drug service
- Satellite pharmacies in oncology, critical care and pediatrics
The pharmacy staff is comprised of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, pharmacy interns, support personnel, and pharmacist managers. These include executive managers, operational managers, clinical pharmacy managers and five pharmacy residents.
Our department is dedicated to patient care and focused on achieving positive patient outcomes through drug therapy. This includes:
- Providing high quality pharmaceutical services that foster the efficacy, safety, and cost-effectiveness of drug use
- Providing comprehensive, updated drug information to both patients and medical professionals
- Promoting teaching internships and residency program to educate and train future pharmacists
- Participating in cutting-edge scientific research programs in order to better understand how the human body functions and to alleviate disease
- Participation in several Collaborative Drug Therapy Management programs with Montefiore physicians;
- Promoting pharmacy as an essential component of the health-care team.
Did You Know?
- The Pharmacy at Montefiore boasts the first pharmacy residency in New York City (1968), a PGY1 program accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- Current Montefiore leaders have held leadership positions in the New York State Council of Health-system Pharmacists, as well as other local, state and national pharmacy professional organizations. The Council represents New York State pharmacists who practice in ambulatory, long term, managed, home and acute care settings. There are approximately 2,000 NYSCHP members along with a well-established network of leaders serving on the NYSCHP Board of Directors, NYSCHP committees and chapter officers in the eleven local chapters in NYS.
- Pharmacists at Montefiore published almost 90 manuscripts, abstracts or poster presentations in 2015-2016.