Allergies – Bronx, New York – Montefiore Medical Center
Following diagnosis, we use three common treatment methods that are aimed at minimizing the patient's exposure to common triggers of allergies:
- Environment controls: The first line of therapy is identifying the source of each patient's allergies, such as feather pillows, pets and mold. Then, we offer advice to help separate patients from the causes of their problem. For example, if an allergy to latex was found, we may recommend using non-latex rubber gloves. Or if a dietary item is causing an allergy, we will recommend an allergy elimination diet tailored to the patient.
- Drug therapy: Most patients receive various types of medications that alleviate their symptoms and improve their quality of life.
- Allergy shots: Patients will be offered allergy shots if they cannot eliminate allergy-causing substances from their environments or can't tolerate medications. This prolonged course of therapy will minimize the triggers of most allergies and make the patients feel much better. Most patients receive weekly shots for four to five months, followed by monthly injections for another two years. Two nurses specialize in administering the shots. Evening hours are available for the convenience of our patients.
Even when multiple causes are responsible for a patient's allergies, we can devise a highly beneficial course of treatment.
Prevention and Wellness
We help our patients understand how to reduce their symptoms by avoiding exposure to their allergy triggers. Find helpful tips on:
- Controlling allergy triggers such as dust mites and mold
- Avoiding allergens such as pollen when you spend time outdoors
- Managing allergies on vacation
- Using allergy medication wisely
- Easing your child's allergies