The On-Call Experience
Take the Diagnostic and Integrated Interventional Radiology Residency & Fellowship Programs Virtual Tour
See why so many applicants choose Montefiore-Einstein
The resident on-call experience is busy, yet fully supported by 24/7 in-house attending coverage. Residents gain graduated responsibility in both junior and senior on-call roles, support one another in a collaborative environment, and learn to manage a high-volume consultation role. Feedback from attendings is at the core of our teaching mission, even on call.
Weeknight call is from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Weekend call is from 9:00 am to 10:00 pm.
First-year residents cover ED plain film and general consultation under the direct supervision of an attending radiologist.
- First-year residents average Q9 call, including weeknight and weekend shifts.
- No call until after Labor Day. First-year residents do not cover night float.
Senior residents (R2-R4) cover call at both the Moses and Weiler campuses and offers greater resident independence. Senior call includes evening shifts, night float and weekend calls. Senior call provides remote coverage for studies performed at our other ED and urgent care sites. Senior call responsibilities include the following:
- Independent interpretation of all emergency department CT/MR/US studies and radiographs.
- Preliminary consultation of inpatient consults.
- Supervising the first-year residents.
- Residents do not perform ultrasounds on call. We have 24-hour ultrasound technologist coverage at the Moses, Wakefield and Weiler campuses.
Night float is one of the most important educational experiences during residency, when residents can practice with independence. Residents have a total of six weeks of night float, four weeks in the second year and two weeks in the third year. These are completed in two-week blocks. Night float is 10:00 pm to 8:30 am. The night float resident gains experience through the following:
- Independently pre-dictates most ED CT and US studies, as well as a variable number of ED plain films as able.
- Provides preliminary reports for all ED MRI studies and all inpatient consults at the main hospital center.
- Supervision by our team of in-house, Emergency Radiologists, each with subspecialty training.
- Regular feedback on interpretive and consultation skills.
Vascular and Interventional Radiology (VIR) Call
Diagnostic Radiology residents share VIR call with the DR-IR and ESIR residents. R1 and R4 residents share a buddy call system to allow for transition to independent call and backup. VIR call is taken as overnight/weekend pager call from home. All on-call VIR procedures are performed under the direct supervision of a VIR attending radiologist.
- Diagnostic Radiology Residency
- Interventional Radiology Residency
- Nuclear Medicine Residency
- Fellowship Programs
- Medical Student Education
- Grand Rounds