Services and Treatments
Preparing for Heart Valve Surgery
Heart valve repair and replacement can significantly improve quality of life. At Montefiore's Comprehensive Heart Valve Repair Program, heart valve surgery is a two- to five-hour procedure that is performed using the most advanced, minimally invasive techniques. While heart valve surgery is fairly straightforward, it is important that patients adhere to the Heart Valve Repair Program's pre- and postsurgical guidelines to ensure the best results. Patients should also understand the risks associated with heart valve surgery as well as the procedure itself.
To adequately prepare for heart valve surgery, the Heart Valve Repair Program suggests that patients:
- Become familiar with what happens during minimally invasive heart valve surgery.
- Understand the difference between heart valve repair and heart valve replacement.
- Learn what to expect prior to, during and after valve surgery
- Review the Heart Valve Repair Program's discharge instructions in order to make appropriate arrangements in advance.
- Read about what life is like after heart valve surgery.
- Listen to the Heart Valve Repair Program's podcast about heart valve repair and heart valve replacement.
- Review the Heart Valve Repair Program's list of commonly asked questions about valve surgery.