Montefiore Einstein Center for Bioethics
Bioethics is the field that addresses value-laden issues at the interface of medicine, law and public policy. Though Bioethics can encompass a broad range of topics, the Montefiore-Einstein Center for Bioethics focuses on those issues most likely to improve patient care, human subjects research, and health policy. We draw together expertise that promotes reasoned analysis of ethical issues in health care, both at the level of the individual patient and clinician, and at the level of society as a whole.
Activities of the Center for Bioethics:
- Bioethics Consultation: The Center provides consultation for providers, patients and family members regarding challenging medical decisions where important values are at stake.
- Bioethics Education: The Center offers education in a wide variety of settings and formats. Center faculty present at Grand Rounds and teach medical students, housestaff and other associates throughout Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine on a regular basis. Contact us to request Bioethics teaching.
- Bioethics Certificate Program: The Center sponsors the Certificate Program in Bioethics and the Medical Humanities, a year-long course covering a wide range
October 4, 2011, Healthday.com
Advance Directives Might Cut Cost of End-of-Life Care
Tia Powell, MD, Director, Montefiore-Einstein Center for Bioethics, says Advance
Directives are a helpful tool but not a perfect tool.
Read the article
- Masters of Science in Bioethics: Our new program launched in September 2010. The Certificate Program will count for credit within the Masters Program. The Masters Program is open to professionals in medicine, law, allied health professions, among others. Current law and medical students can also enroll in the Masters of Science in Bioethics as part of a dual degree program. For additional information, click here.
- Internships and rotations: The Center sponsors a small number of interns during the summer and occasionally during the school year. Interns must have a demonstrated interest in bioethics and will be assigned projects that support the Center. Medical students and house staff at Montefiore Medical Center may request a rotation on the Bioethics service, during which they will be asked to complete a specific project in bioethics. Contact us to learn more.
- Bioethics Scholarship: The Center encourages scholarship that identifies and explores bioethics dilemmas, particularly those that will improve the care of patients and promote health in our community.