Montefiore in the News
What Makes Men’s Depression Different?
- June 25, 2021
June is National Men’s Health Month, a good time to consider the unique mental health needs of men. In this edition of PsychPearls, Jonathan E. Alpert, MD, PhD discusses mood disorders and the surprising symptoms that male patients may present.
In this conversation, Alpert also covers:
- The etiology of major depressive disorder in men and women
- Common comorbidities to depression among men
- How to build a therapeutic alliance with men and encourage adherence
- Effective pharmacological and psychotherapeutic interventions for men and women
- Future directions for scientific research on mood disorders, including their connections to autoimmune, cardiac, and thyroid conditions.
Dr Alpert is the Dorothy and Marty Silverman Chair in in the department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Science, and professor of psychiatry, neuroscience, and pediatrics at Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine.