Division of Breast Imaging
The Division of Breast Imaging is staffed by board certified radiologists with specialization in all aspects of breast imaging. Our dedicated team of physicians, administrators, technologists, fellows and residents is committed to serving our diverse patient population, and our physicians interpret more than 50,000 mammography studies each year.
We offer screening mammography at seven locations, all of which are accredited by the American College of Radiology (ACR). Our diagnostic centers have been designated as ACR Breast Centers of Excellence. All technologists have specialty certification in mammography, and all of our facilities meet the standards set by the Mammography Quality Standards Act.
The Division of Breast Imaging participates in the National Mammography Database (NMD), a voluntary program that allows radiology practices to compare their performance with other similar practices. To date, our physicians exceed all benchmarks set forth by the NMD in cancer detection rates and positive predictive values.
Diagnostic mammography and breast ultrasound are currently performed at Montefiore Advanced Imaging at the Greene Medical Arts Pavilion (MAP), the Montefiore Breast Center and Montefiore Medical Park. Our physicians at these sites perform all types of percutaneous, image-guided procedures, including stereotactic biopsies, ultrasound-guided core needle biopsies, fine needle aspirations and cyst aspirations. Our physicians also perform wire/needle localization procedures or radioactive seed localization procedures for patients requiring breast surgery.
Breast MRI is available at Montefiore Advanced Imaging at Gun Hill as well as at Montefiore Medical Park. Both sites are fully accredited by the ACR and offer state-of-the-art imaging with dedicated breast coils and interpretative software. Our dedicated breast imagers perform MRI-guided biopsies, as needed.
We use a team approach to facilitate and promote exceptional, individualized patient care. Our physicians work closely with members of Montefiore’s oncology, radiation oncology and pathology departments, as well as the breast surgery division, and they participate in the multidisciplinary breast tumor board conferences.
Our fellows and attending physicians have presented scientific exhibits at national radiology meetings. Our team is currently involved in the following ongoing research projects:
- Tomosynthesis Mammographic Imaging Screening Trial (TMIST)
- Comparison of abbreviated breast MRI and digital breast tomosynthesis in breast cancer screening in women with dense breasts
- Multicenter, randomized control trial studying MRI and mammography before surgery in patients with stage I-II breast cancer (ACRIN 6694)
- Multicenter clinical study to evaluate the safety and performance of the Health Beacons’ Radiofrequency Identification (RFID) Localization System for marking and retrieving nonpalpable breast lesions
- 3-D ultrasound imaging of axillary lymph nodes—this retrospective study is evaluating the utility of 3-D ultrasound of axillary lymph nodes in patients who have a suspicious breast mass or new diagnosis of breast cancer
- Multidisciplinary trial with the oncology department and breast surgery division for prospective tissue collection in breast cancer patients receiving preoperative systemic therapy
- ECOG E4112 protocol, a prospective study of MRI and multiparameter gene expression assay in ductal carcinoma in situ
The Division of Breast Imaging provides comprehensive training in all aspects of breast imaging and interventional procedures. We sponsor one fellowship each year.
To learn more about breast imaging, please visit: