Montefiore in the News
New Guide Provides Helpful Low-Cost Resources to Help People Caring for Loved Ones
- July 20, 2010
- New Guide from Montefiore Available in English and Spanish
BRONX, NY (July 20, 2010) - A new resource guide for Bronx residents who are caring for an aging parent, spouse, partner, child with an illness or disability, or someone else close to them is now available from Montefiore Medical Center's Office of Community Health and the Montefiore Caregiver Support Program.
"Caring for Yourself While Caregiving: A Bronx Resource Guide" provides 32 pages of helpful, low-cost resources that are easily accessible to borough residents.
"Caregivers -- both professional and those in the home -- play a key role in the health of our patients and the larger community, yet their own needs are often not attended to. We want to call attention to caregivers' needs and provide resources and information to help them," said Peter Selwyn, MD, MPH, chairman, Department of Family and Social Medicine at Montefiore and director of the medical center's Office of Community Health. "This guide represents our commitment to addressing the health and well-being of the Bronx community, including our own employees and their families."
The booklet, available in English and Spanish, provides useful information in six categories:
- Basic Information on Being a Caregiver, including websites, books and online videos
- Getting the Support You Need: Support groups and programs for caregivers, online support forums, professional support, and respite care
- Relaxation and Lowering Stress: Yoga, tai chi and meditation classes, managing stress and burnout, community garden locations, guided imagery and relaxation CDs, online relaxation exercises
- Keeping Your Body Healthy: Healthy cooking and nutrition classes, farmers markets and food co-ops, exercise and dance classes, walking clubs, swimming pools, massage therapy and acupuncture
- Finding Spiritual Support: Books and programs for inspiration, spirituality CDs, distant healing prayer, spirituality classes and retreats
- Explore Your Creativity/Enjoy Social Life: Art and music classes, music therapy, choruses, writing and poetry, hobbies and social clubs
The guide is the first of Montefiore's Self-Care and Wellness Series that will also feature resource guides focused on bereavement and coping with the challenges of aging and serious illness.
"Caring for a loved one can be a wonderful experience of giving, sharing and receiving, yet it is common for caregivers to neglect their own emotional and physical needs," said Ronit Fallek, MPA, director, Supportive Care Program, Palliative Care Service, Department of Family and Social Medicine at Montefiore. "The reality is we are better caregivers when we are also taking care of ourselves. This resource guide will help familiarize people in our community with the wealth of resources that exist for them right here in the Bronx."
The "Caring for Yourself While Caregiving" resource guide is available for a nominal fee by calling Ms. Fallek at (718) 920-6576, or by emailing PCareSupport@montefiore.org.