How to prepare:
There are no special instructions to follow prior to having your treatment performed. You may take all of your normal medications. You will not receive any sedation, so an escort home is not required. You should not expect to need to arrange for absence from work or other activities following your treatment.
What to expect during sclerotherapy:
When you arrive for your treatment, a topical cream will be applied to reduce the discomfort of the injections. About 15 minutes after its application, your treatment will begin. A very small needle is used to inject a special solution into the individual veins and immediately you will see the vessels disappear. This solution causes the vein to scar closed so the vessels are no longer seen through the skin. The injections will be repeated on other vessels until all are treated or your session time ends. Generally the sessions will last 15-30 minutes depending on your need. Sometimes repeat sessions are needed for re-treatment of the veins.
What are the risks:
- Skin color changes along the treated vein. The discoloration may take 6 to 12 months to disappear. In some people, it may be permanent.
- Failure of treatment to prevent varicose veins from returning or the appearance of new vessels in the same area
- Itching, bruising, pain, and blistering where the veins were treated.
- Scarring resulting from ulcers or death of the tissue around the treated if injected medication is injected outside a vein or it escapes through the wall of a weakened vein.
- A mild or severe reaction to the injected medication
- Blood clots or damage in the deep vein system
What to expect after treatment:
You should have minimal discomfort following your injections. It is possible to see small red dots, small bruises, and localized swelling where the needles are inserted. You are able to go back to work and normal activities the day of your procedure. There is no need to wear a compression garment after your treatment. The treated veins may reappear after your session as the true results of sclerotherapy are noticed 4-6 weeks after treatment.
Contact your surgeon if:
- You have inflammation within five inches of the groin
- You have the sudden onset of a swollen leg
- You have formation of ulcers at the site of your injections