Issues Addressed by the Bioethics Consultation Service
The Bioethics Consultation Service team members are available to speak with patients, family members, designated representatives and clinicians in order to help clarify ethical issues and work toward resolution of conflict while respecting the voices and values of those involved.
Bioethics involves the analysis of ethical issues that arise in the healthcare setting. Our trained consultants help people deal with issues like these:
- Who should make decisions for patients who cannot decide for themselves or communicate their wishes?
- What should patients do if suggested treatments are in conflict with their beliefs?
- What should happen when there is strong disagreement or uncertainty about what is best for a patient?
- What should patients consider in agreeing to or in refusing treatment?
- When should life-prolonging treatments, such as feeding tubes or breathing machines, be started, continued or stopped?
Please feel free to contact us for more information on the Bioethics Consultation Service.
The Montefiore Einstein Center for Bioethics