Montefiore's Customer Services Department is dedicated to making the care experience at our hospitals and outpatient facilities the best it can be for patients and their families. We work to provide the highest quality service by following Montefiore's Standards of Service Excellence for customer care.
Our Philosophy: No Concern Too Small
Our Customer Service Specialists are trained to listen and problem solve. They are ready to address questions, problems, complaints, grievances and special requests quickly and efficiently. Patients and their families or significant others may contact Customer Services directly at the main number 718-920-4943, or email CustServiceCares@montefiore.org.
If you feel your concerns regarding patient care or safety have not been adequately addressed, you may contact the New York State Department of Health at 1-800-804-5447.
You may also contact the Joint Commission's Office of Quality Monitoring to report any concerns or register complaints:
- Call: (800) 994-6610
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit: www.jointcommission.org, using the “Report a Patient Safety Event” link in the “Action Center” on the home page of the website.
- Fax: to 630-792-5636.
- Mail: The Office of Quality and Patient Safety (OQPS), The Joint Commission, One Renaissance Boulevard, Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181.
Reports of patient safety events to The Joint Commission must include the healthcare organization’s name, street address, city and state.
Resources for Special Needs
Customer Services provides assistance for those who speak another language or are hearing impaired, to ensure that patients and families are comfortable and can communicate with their doctors and nurses. Resources available, all free of charge, include:
- Foreign-language interpreters
- Sign-language interpreters
- American Sign Language interpreters
- TTYs (text messaging for the hearing impaired)
- Amplified phones
- Closed captioning for television
- Other assistive and auxiliary devices as required
SPEAK UP Guidelines for Patients & Families
The most positive care outcomes occur when patients are proactive. Customer Services encourages patients and families to SPEAK UP:
- State your concerns, ask questions and if you don’t understand, ask again.
- Pay attention to the care you receive. Tell your doctor or nurse if something doesn’t seem right about the medications or treatments you are receiving.
- Educate yourself about the diagnosis, medical tests and treatment plan. (One source: the Medical Library on this site.)
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate. A family or family member may include people who are not legally related to you. Members of the family may also include spouses, domestic partners (including same sex domestic partners), children, siblings, parents and others. Your advocate can ask questions you may not think of, and can help you remember answers to questions.
- Know what medications you take, the dosage and how often. Share information about current medications before new ones are prescribed. Ask about side effects and how well different medications work together.
- Understand the follow-up care that’s needed. If patient or family are concerned about managing that care, request a visit with a Montefiore social worker.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. Don’t be afraid to ask for a second opinion.