Evan C. Lipsitz, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Surgery, Vascular Surgery
- Medical Education
- Columbia Univ College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Associate Professor, Surgery
- Administrative Title
- Chief, Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
Medical Director, Vascular Diagnostic Laboratory
- Clinical Focus
- Endovascular Thoracic and Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm repair, Aortic dissection, Carotid Artery Disease and Stroke prevention, Lower extremity peripheral arterial disease and limb salvage, Endovascular and open treatments for aneurysms and peripheral arterial disease
- Research Focus
Dr Lipsitz’ research interest includes the treatment of thoracic and abdominal aneurysms with endovascular graft technology. He has been an investigator in clinical trials of numerous grafts and has evaluated the efficacy of wireless pressure sensors and endostaples as adjunctive therapies utilized with these grafts.
Dr. Lipsitz' research has also focused on limb salvage and the treatment of lower extremity peripheral vascular disease (PVD), the obstruction of large arteries to the legs. In treating PVD, he has studied both open surgical and endovascular techniques, including the use of various grafts, and stents. His work helped popularize the minimally invasive technique of subintimal angioplasty in the U.S.
Dr. Lipsitz received his undergraduate degree from the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, MD and his medical degree from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University. He completed his residency training at the Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center with a research fellowship in Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation (ECMO) therapy for which he received the Blakemore Prize for Outstanding Surgical Research. Dr. Lipsitz completed his Vascular Surgery Fellowship training at the Montefiore Medical Center and Albert Einstein College of Medicine where he was recruited as a faculty member in 1999.
Dr. Lipsitz has served as the Chief of the Division of Vascular and Endovascular Surgery since 2006 and as the Medical Director of the Non-Invasive Vascular Laboratory since 2003. He has published numerous articles in peer reviewed journals and book chapters.
Medical Director, Vascular Diagnostic Laboratory, Surgery, Vascular Surgery" class="physPhoto" itemprop="image">