Graduate Fellows: Publications
Recent Graduates/Current Fellows
1. Zhou L, Opalinska J, Sohal D, Yu Y, Mo Y, Bhagat T, Abdel-Wahab O, Fazzari M, Figueroa M, Alencar C, Zhang J, Kambhampati S, Parmar S, Nischal S, Hueck C, Suzuki M, Freidman E, Pellagatti A, Boultwood J, Steidl U, Sauthararajah Y, Yajnik V, McMahon C, Gore SD, Platanias LC, Levine R, Melnick A, Wickrema A, Greally JM, Verma A. Aberrant epigenetic and genetic marks are seen in myelodysplastic leukocytes and reveal Dock4 as a candidate pathogenic gene on chromosome 7q. Biol Chem. 2011 Jul 15;286(28):25211-23. Epub 2011 Apr 30.
2. Zhou L, McMahon C, Bhagat T, Alencar C, Yu Y, Fazzari M, Sohal D, Heuck C, Gundabolu K, Ng C, Mo Y, Shen W, Wickrema A, Kong G, Friedman E, Sokol L, Mantzaris I, Pellagatti A, Boultwood J, Platanias LC, Steidl U, Yan L, Yingling JM, Lahn MM, List A, Bitzer M, Verma A. Reduced SMAD7 leads to over activation of TGF-beta signaling in MDS that can be reversed by a specific inhibitor of TGF-beta receptor I kinase. Cancer Res. 2011 Feb 1;71(3):955-63. Epub 2010 Dec 28.
3. Alencar C, Abramowtiz M, Parekh S, Braunshweig I, Jacobson M, Silverman L, Verma A. Atypical presentations of Sweet's syndrome in patients with MDS/AML receiving combinations of hypomethylating agents with histone deacetylase inhibitors. Am J Hematol. 2009 Oct;84(10):688-9.
4. Turner JM, Kaplan JB, Cohen HW, Billett HH. Exchange versus simple transfusion for acute chest syndrome in sickle cell anemia adults. Transfusion. 2009 May;49(5):863-8. Epub 2009 May 1.
5. Seetharam RN, Sood A, Basu-Mallick A, Augenlicht LH, Mariadason JM, Goel S. Oxaliplatin resistance induced by ERCC1 up-regulation is abrogated by siRNA-mediated gene silencing in human colorectal cancer cells. Anticancer Res. 2010 Jul;30(7):2531-8.
6. Zervoudakis A, Strickler HD, Park Y, Xue X, Hollenbeck A, Schatzkin A, Gunter MJ. Reproductive history and risk of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 May 18;103(10):826-34. Epub 2011 Mar 29.
7. Aparo S, Goel S. Evolvement of the treatment paradigm for metastatic colon cancer. From chemotherapy to targeted therapy. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2011 Sep 21. [Epub ahead of print].
8. Barta SK, Lee JY, Kaplan LD, Noy A, Sparano JA. Pooled analysis of AIDS malignancy consortium trials evaluating rituximab plus CHOP or infusional EPOCH chemotherapy in HIV-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer. 2011 Dec 16. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26723. [Epub ahead of print]
9. Schindler J, Gajavelli S, Ravandi F, Shen Y, Parekh S, Braunchweig I, Barta S, Ghetie V, Vitetta E, Verma A. A phase I study of a combination of anti-CD19 and anti-CD22 immunotoxins (Combotox) in adult patients with refractory B-lineage acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Br J Haematol. 2011 Aug;154(4):471-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2141.2011.08762.x. Epub 2011 Jul 7.
10. Raghupathy R, Billett HH Promising Therapies in Sickle Cell Disease Cardiovascular & Haematological Disorders-Drug Targets, 2009, 9, 1-8.
11. Raghupathy R, Manwani D, Little JA. Review Article: Iron Overload in Sickle Cell Disease. Adv Hematol. 2010;2010:272940. Epub 2010 May 17.
12. Dutta A, Karkashon S, Raghupathy R, Bhatia H, Tesfa L, Little JA. Induction of fetal/embryonic globin gene expression depends on intact cell signaling in definitive erythroid cells. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2011 Feb 15;46(2):125-32. Epub 2010 Nov 20.
13. Nayak J, Goel S. Revised TNM staging for colorectal cancer: did we miss the golden opportunity to do right by the staging? Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2011 Sep;10(3):207-9. doi: 10.1016/j.clcc.2011.03.016. Epub 2011 May 1.
14. Nayak J, Zhong Y, Haigentz M Jr: Acral metastases from laryngeal carcinoma. J Clin Oncol. 29: e220-1, 2011.
15. Petrich A, Cho SI, Billett H.: Primary cardiac lymphoma: an analysis of presentation, treatment, and outcome patterns. Cancer. 2011 Feb 1;117(3):581-9. doi: 10.1002/cncr.25444. Epub 2010 Oct 4.
16. Giricz O, Reynolds PA, Ramnauth A, Liu C, Wang T, Stead L, Childs G, Rohan T, Shapiro N, Fineberg S, Kenny PA, Loudig O. Hsa-miR-375 is differentially expressed during breast lobular neoplasia and promotes loss of mammary acinar polarity. J Pathol. 2012 Jan;226(1):108-19. doi: 10.1002/path.2978. Epub 2011 Sep 26.
17. Abdullah, S. E. and Perez-Soler, R. (2011), Mechanisms of resistance to vascular endothelial growth factor blockade. Cancer. doi: 10.1002/cncr.26540 PMID: 22086782.
18. Reed LR, Raghupathy R, Strakhan M, Philbeck TE, Kim MY, Battini B, Hussain Z, Abdullah S, Schweber S, Bala K., Pacello T. The OnControl bone marrow biopsy technique is superior to the standard manual technique for hematologists-in-training: a prospective, randomized comparison. Hematology Reports 2011; volume 3:e21
19. Sood A, McClain D, Maitra R, Basu-Malick A, Seetharam R, Kaubisch A, Rajdev L, Mariadson JM, Tanaka K, Goel S. PTEN gene expression and mutations in the PIK3CA gene as predictors of clinical benefits to anti epidermal growth factor therapy in patients with K RAS wild type metastatic colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer. (Accepted)
Abstracts and Posters
1. S. Mahesh, Ling YH, Perez-Soler R, Zou Y. Favorable toxicity profile of 5-azacytidine (5-aza) administered intratracheally (IT) AACR Meeting Abstracts, Apr 2008; 2008: 2817.
2. AP Lam, J Golubcow-Teglasi, K Gundabolu, H Ratech, KH Ramesh, LC Platanias, E Friedman, A Verma. High Prevalence of Elderly Anemia Is Seen in a Large Inner City Outpatient Population and Is Predictive of Decreased Overall Survival across All Ethnic Groups ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2008 112:3447.
3. L Zhou, JB Opalinska, DP Sohal, Y Mo, S Kambhampati, S Parmar, C Alencar, C Heuck, I Vigoda, C Ng, P Pahanish, S Goel, C Schinke, L Cytryn, E Friedman, Maria E Figueroa, AA Wickrema, J Greally, AVerma Integrative Genomic Analysis Reveals Aberrant Epigenetic Marks in MDS That Can Be Seen in Peripheral Blood Leucocytes ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2008 112:595.
4. L Zhou, AN Nguyen, D Sohal, JY Ma, P Pahanish, K Gundabolu, J Hayman, A Chubak, Y Mo, TD Bhagat, B Das, AM Kapoun, TA Navas, S Parmar, S Kambhampati, A Pellagatti, I Braunchweig, Y Zhang, A Wickrema, S Medicherla, J Boultwood, LC Platanias, LS Higgins, AF List, M Bitzer, A Verma. Inhibition of the TGF-β receptor I kinase promotes hematopoiesis in MDS Blood 2008 112:3434-3443; published ahead of print May 12, 2008, doi:10.1182/blood-2008-02-139824.
5. DP Sohal, A Pellagati, L Zhou, Y Mo, JB Opalinska, C Alencar, C Heuck, A Wickrema, E Friedman, J Greally, BL Ebert, J Warner, J Boultwood, A Verma Downregulation of Ribosomal Proteins Is Seen in Non 5q- MDS ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2008 112:854.
6. S Goel, C Schinke, T Bhagat, Y Mo, L Zhou, C Heuck, C Alencar, P Pahanish, J Anguiano, G Kabalka, LC Platanias, A Verma, B Das Design and Synthesis of Novel Derivatives of ATRA Demonstrate the Combined Importance of Acid Moiety and Conjugated Double Bonds in Its Binding to PMLRAR-Alpha Oncogene in Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2008 112:5036.
7. G Jung, Chung J, Shuter J, Gucalp R, Perez-Soler R, Keller S, Haigentz M Jr. Lung cancer in HIV infection: A case series. Abstract#19093. Proc ASCO 26:2008.
8. T. Li, U. Hopkins, G. Jung, S. Herszkopf, Y. Mossavar-Rahmani, M. Kim, A. Moadel, J. Wylie-Rosett. A pilot assessment of nutritional needs in cancer outpatients receiving active anticancer therapy. J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 20680)
9. G. Jung, J. Chung, J. Shuter, R. Gucalp, R. Perez-Soler, S. Keller, M. Haigentz. Lung cancer in HIV infection: A case series. J Clin Oncol 26: 2008 (May 20 suppl; abstr 19093)
10. C. M. Ghiuzeli, E. T. Roussos, J. B. Wyckoff, D. Sun, Y. Wang, T. Patsialou, S. Goswami, F. B. Gertler, J. S. Condeelis. Evaluation of Mena isoforms as a surrogate for epithelial mesenchymal transformation and erlotinib resistance in breast carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 27:15s, 2009 (suppl; abstr 1078).
11. G. Jung, D. Knight, A. Moadel, K. Desai, I. Chaudhary, S. Gajavelli, M. H. Ghalib, S. Mani, S. Goel. Assessment of quality of life using FACT-G survey in a phase I trial in cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 27, 2009 (suppl; abstr e20709)
12. L Zhou, C McMahon, T Bhagat, C Alencar, Y Yu, M. Fazzari, DP Sohal, K Gundabolu, C Ng, Y Mo, A Wickrema, G Kong, E Friedman, L Sokol, PK Burnette, U Steidl, L Yan, J Yingling, MM Lahn, AF List, Ms Bitzer, A Verma Dysregulation of TGF-Beta Stimulated Smad Signaling Is Seen in Myelodysplasia and Points to the Potential Therapeutic Efficacy of TGF-Beta Receptor I Kinase Inhibition in Low Grade Disease. ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2009 114:737
13. A. Basu Mallick, R. Seetharam, A. Sood, J. Mariadason, S. Goel; Evaluation of inducible expression of ERCC1 as a biomarker of drug response in human colorectal cancer cell lines. J Clin Oncol 28, 2010 (suppl; abstr e14048).
14. A. Sood, D. McClain, R. Seetharam, M. Al-rahamneh, A. Kaubisch, L. Rajdev, K. Tanaka, J. Mariadason, S. Goel; Beyond KRAS: The quest for novel genetic markers predictive for response to anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) therapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC). J Clin Oncol 28:15s, 2010 (suppl; abstr 3567)
15. V Leshchenko, Kuo P, Shaknovich R, Yang D, Gellen T, Petrich A, Yu Y, Remache Y, Weniger M, Rafiq S, Suh K, Goy A, Wilson W, Verma A, Braunschweig I, Muthusamy M, Kahl B, Byrd J, Wiestner A, Melnick A, Parekh S. Genome wide DNA methylation analysis reveals novel targets for drug development in mantle cell lymphoma [Plenary Paper]. Blood, 2010; 116 (7): 1025-34.?
16. A Petrich, Leshchenko V, Kuo P, Ye BH, Sparano JA, Parekh S. Genomic and Pathway Connectivity Analyses Identify Novel Strategies to Overcome mTOR Inhibitor Resistance in DLBCL [abstract]. Oral presentation at ASH Annual Meeting, 2010 Dec 6; Orlando, FL.
17. T. M. Lee, L. A. Stead, M. M. Loch, J. L. Westrup, M. Hernandez-Perez, J. C. Lee, A. de las Morenas, T. P. Ahern, C. L. Rosenberg; Clinical and pathologic characteristics of Hispanic breast cancer patients in a tertiary care safety net hospital. J Clin Oncol 28:15s, 2010 (suppl; abstr 1591)
18. C. J. Heuck, J. Mehta, N. Pulliam, R. Meagher, L. Zhou, E. Vickrey, E. Voigt, J. Greally, A. Verma, S. Singhal; Multiple myeloma is characterized by widespread epigenomic alterations with prognostic implications. J Clin Oncol 28:15s, 2010 (suppl; abstr 8117)
19. A Noy, Bayraktar UD, Gupta N, Petrich A, Moore P, Lensing S. Outcome of Patients with Relapsed/Refractory AIDS-Related Lymphoma In the AIDS Malignancy Consortium (AMC) 1997-2008 [abstract]. Poster presentation at ASH Annual Meeting, 2010 Dec 6; Orlando, FL.
20. S Nischal, L Zhou, Y Yu, T Bhagat, Y Mo, C Heuck, M Suzuki, S Maqbool, A Pardanani, JGreally, A Moliterno, Averma. Epigenomic Profiling of Myeloproliferative Diseases Reveal Idiopathic Myelofibrosis as An Epigenetically Distinct Subgroup and Highlights the Epigenetic Effects of Jak2V617F Mutation ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2010 116:627.
21. C Heuck, J Mehta, J Tariman, N Pulliam, Y Yu, T Bhagat, S Nischal, R Meagher, CY Hu, A Verma, SB Singhal. Epigenomic Profiling of Multiple Myeloma Shows Widespread Stage Specific Alterations In DNA Methylation That Occur Early During Myelomagenesis ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2010 116:784
22. A Petrich , Leshchenko, V, Kuo P, Sparano JA, Parekh S. Targeting the mTOR/AKT pathway with Nelfinavir: Implications for AIDS-related Lymphomas [abstract]. Poster presentation at NYCC Developmental Therapeutics Symposium, 2010 May 14; New York, NY.
23. A Zervoudakis, Strickler H, Schatzkin A, Park Y, Hollenbeck A, Gunter MJ. Reproductive history and risk of colorectal cancer in postmenopausal women. Abstract at American Society of Clinical Oncology. 2010.
24. A. Sood, D. McClain, A. Kaubisch, L. Rajdev, J. Mariadason, K. Tanaka, S. Goel. Use of PTEN expression in the primary tumor as a predictive marker for radiologic response to anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) based therapy in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC). 2010 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium. Orlando, FL.
25. J Chuy, Kinkhabwala M, Reinus J, Tanaka K, Kaubisch A. Bridging therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma prior to orthotopic liver transplantation results in disease control but few complete responses. 2011 Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, San Francisco, CA. January 20-22, 2011.
26. J Chuy, Moadel A, Haynes H, Garg M, Schiff BA, Smith RV, Sarta C, Eng Y, Schlecht N, Negassa A, Haigentz M. Clinical and behavioral characteristics of active smokers with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN) in an urban setting: Attitudes underlying high-risk disease. 2011 ASCO Annual Meeting, June 4-8 2011; Chicago, IL. Abstract e16027.
27. JB Nayak, R. Maitra, A. Basu-Mallick, A. Sood, J. Mariadason, D. M. Reynolds, S. Goel; High throughput sequencing technology (Sequenom) as a tool to detect SNPs in human metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) and cell lines. J Clin Oncol 29: 2011 (suppl; abstr e14083).
28. LA Stead, A. Ramnauth, S. Fineberg, O. Loudig; MicroRNA expression patterns in lobular neoplasia. Clin Oncol 29: 2011 (suppl; abstr 10551).
29. CM Schinke, B C Das, S Goel, T Bhaga, S Nischa, S Minucci, G Kabalka, RE Gallagher, T Evans, LC Platanias, A Verma. Design, Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of A Boron Containing Retinoid As a Novel Therapeutic Agent for Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2011 118:5008.
30. TD Bhagat, L Zhou, L Sokol, I Mantzaris, K Gundabolu, SAK Gordon, Y Yu, S Nischal, R Polineni, C Schinke, G Chrysofakis, A Wickrema, A Pellagatti, J Boultwood, UI Steidl, G Liu, AlF List, M Bitzer, A Verma. Mir-21 Mediates Hematopoietic Suppression in MDS by Activating TGF-b Signaling, ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2011 118:3813.
31. SK Barta, Y Zou, J Schindler, T Bhagat, V Ghetie, ES Vitetta, A Verma. Synergy of Sequential and Concurrent Administration of a Deglycosylated Ricin A Chain-Containing Combined Anti-CD19 and Anti-CD22 Immunotoxin (Combotox) and Cytarabine in a Murine Model of Advanced Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2011 118:1526.
32. R Tamari, HH Billett, H Cohen D-Dimer Variability in the Postpartum Period, ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts 2011 118:3337.
33. S Maingi, S O'Mahony, J Siegel, End-of-Life Challenges for a Transgender Patient at The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) 22nd WPATH Biennial Symposium, 2011, Atlanta, GA.
34. S. Maingi, S. O'Mahony. Transgender Patients in Palliative Care Settings. Oral Presentation at the National Transgender Health Summit, San Francisco, CA, April 8 - 9, 2011.
35. LJ Reed, R Raghupathy, M Strakhan, T Philbeck, MY Kim, R Battini, Z Hussain, S Abdullah, S Schweber, K Bala, T Pacello. The Powered Bone Marrow Biopsy Technique Is Superior to the Standard Manual Technique for Hematologists-In-Training: A Prospective, Randomized Comparison. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), Nov 2011; 118: 3133.