- Enhancing peer and social support networks for trainees- In July, for the third year in a row, the Office of GME, the GMEC Balance/Quality of Life Subcommittee, To Your Health! Associate wellness, the House Staff Office, and the Sub-Subcommittee on Financial Wellness invited the Spouses/Significant Others/Family Members/Friends of all new house staff to Montefiore (interns, residents, and fellows) to an event to learn what Montefiore has to offer for House Officer Wellness. Speakers included our Director for GME, Associate Wellness Leadership, Psychologist, and Psychiatrist, and a resident with a child. Hand-outs on resources and financial well-being were distributed. Prizes included: donated gift cards from local restaurants, movie tickets and copies of Ariana Huffington’s The Sleep Revolution. The event was a great success.
Our sponsoring institution provides a Social Media program to all associates called Yammer. The House Staff Office creates a New House Staff Group after Match Day for all incoming house officers to reach out to one another. Among other things, they find apartments, roommates, and post items for sale on the site. It’s one of their first introductions to their peers before they start training here.
- Increasing trainee access to medical/dental health services-The DIO, Office of GME, House Staff Office, Program Directors, Associate Program Directors, and Program Coordinators frequently facilitate trainee access to medical and dental services. Montefiore’s Personal Health Nurse Care Guidance resource increases access to care as does our Employee Assistance Plan (EAP). Montefiore has a relationship with Zocdoc and house staff can schedule their appointments online. Also, a resource page is made available to house staff with a summary of many wellness offerings as well as the health insurance website link to find a doctor in any specialty, including behavioral health. Dental health services information has been included in the last several GME Newsletters to continue to spread the word.
- Increasing trainee access to counseling/mental health services-For the past 5 years, every new house officer receives a card attached to their ID badge with House Staff Wellness information that includes the names and phone numbers of our Director for Occupation Health Services, the Psychologist who participates on our GMEC Balance/Quality of Life Subcommittee, as well as our Sleep Study Specialist. Our Associate Wellness and Well-being Coordinator offers One-on-One Stress Assessment and Management, Wellness Coaching and Education, Personalized Wellness Information and Referral Information. In addition, our Chairman, Vice Chair, Program Directors, and faculty in Psychiatry have been extremely helpful whenever there is a house officer in need of mental health services. Also, Montefiore’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) helps house officers. Montefiore also offers a Personal Health Nurse Care Guidance resource (855-MMC-WELL).
- Encouraging trainee healthy lifestyle- To Your Health! Wellness activities include: Nutrition Workshops and Counseling (ie Stress, Food, and Mindfulness), Nutrition Tastings once per month; Healthy Pick of the Month recipes distributed monthly; Weight Loss Alliance, Weight Watchers at Work; Heart and Soul Relaxation Retreat for Valentines’ Day; Wellness Wednesdays tables at locations around the medical center; Supporting Health Relationships Open House; Discounted gym memberships (NY Sports Club, Equinox, Mosholu Montefiore Community Fitness Center, Falk Recreation Center, Riverdale Y, Crunch); Wellness Challenges; Zumba; 5Rhythms; Chair Yoga; Tai Chi; Health Fairs; Meatless Mondays in the cafeteria; Equinox Boot Camp; HealthyNow app; Meditation provided by Dr. Fernando Camacho and others (now with both in-person and Zoom capabilities); Financial Wellness Opportunities (The Psychology of Money, Basics on Budgeting and Saving, Goal Setting, Changing Behavior); Farmers’ Market every Thursday at every campus throughout the Summer; each quarter To Your Health! Raffles off six prizes of $1000 each. At New House Staff Orientation for the past few years, we have administered several anonymous surveys ie the Epworth Sleepiness Scale, the DASS-21, the Grit Scale and the Mindset Scale. Montefiore resources are deployed to various programs with respondents who score negatively on the surveys. Ms. Randi Kaplan, Director, Caregiver Support Center, invites all house staff to come by the centers whenever they would like to come to a quiet, nurturing, supportive environment. The Montefiore intranet and wellness portal allows associates to access healthy lifestyle information, workshops and videos produced by Healthwise. The Montefiore wellness portal offers several features including an annual health risk assessment and access to online health coaching, other features such as tracking steps, logging fruits, vegetables and water intake, tracking biometric results over time, meal planning, and updates on wellness programs and services offered, and more.
Department - Wellness Initiatives
- The Department of Urology offers each House Staff an annual stipend of $250 for sleep deprivation ground transportation.
- The Department hosts after work functions such as, happy hours, external resident conferences, board review sessions, all hosted by faculty of the Department.
- The residents also host dinners throughout the year and resident-hosted dinners.