Understanding the NY State Health Benefits Exchange
Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as the Affordable Care Act, every state is required to have its own Health Insurance Exchange for health coverage.
The New York State Health Benefits Exchange—officially called NY State of Health™ - The Official Health Plan Marketplace—is a one-stop-shop website for information on and access to quality, affordable health insurance. New Yorkers in need of health coverage who meet certain rules established by the law can visit this site to:
- Compare private commercial insurance options.
- Calculate insurance costs.
- Enroll in a plan (online, in person, by phone, or mail).
The Affordable Care Act also requires that all the plans and features are presented in a uniform manner and show the cost of coverage without hidden fees. This consistency is by design: uninsured and under-insured people can select insurance based on an apples-to-apples comparison of products.
- If you have insurance coverage through your employer, there may be no need to use the Exchange. Check with your employer for information.
- The 2018 Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1, 2017 to December 15, 2017. To enroll, you must be a resident of New York State and a U.S. citizen, national or lawfully present immigrant.
- To enroll, you must be a resident of New York State and a U.S. citizen, national or lawfully present immigrant.
- Special Enrollment periods are available if a significant life event occurs (i.e. marriage, divorce, loss of employment, etc.)
- Once enrolled, any insurance purchased on the Exchange takes effect on January 1, 2018.
Still have questions?
Experts are available at various locations throughout the Bronx to assist with enrollment and information on finding the best plan available to suit an individual's healthcare needs. This assistance is free.
Enrollment and educational events also provide a great opportunity to learn more about the affordable care act and meet with experts that can help you find out if you qualify for low or no cost coverage.
Support is also available online, in person and by phone. For more information, visit the New York State of Health Marketplace or call 1-855-355-5777 (Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5pm). You can also e-mail your questions to email@example.com
For information on our Financial Services, click here.