Montefiore in the News
Spanish Caregivers' Guide Provides Helpful Resources for People Caring for Loved Ones
- March 9, 2011
Free Guide Offered by Montefiore's Caregiver Support Program and its Office of Community Health
BRONX, NY (March 9, 2011) - A new resource guide for Spanish-speaking Bronx residents is now available from Montefiore Medical Center's Office of Community Health and the Montefiore Caregiver Support Program. The guide is aimed at those who are caring for an aging parent, spouse or partner, a child with an illness or disability, or someone else close to them.
"Cuidando de Usted Mismo Mientras Cuida de Otros: Una Guia de Recursos del Bronx" ("Caring for Yourself While Caregiving: A Bronx Resource Guide") is printed entirely in Spanish and provides 32 pages of helpful, low-cost resources that are easily accessible to borough residents. An English-language version of the guide is also available.
According to the most recent information gathered by the U.S. Census Bureau (2009), more than 50 percent of Bronx residents are of Hispanic or Latino origin. This guide is intended to help Spanish-speaking borough residents get access to support services they may need.
"Caregivers -- both professional and those in the home -- play a key role in the health of our patients and the larger community, yet their own needs are often not attended to. We want to call attention to caregivers' needs and provide resources and information to help them," said Peter Selwyn, MD, MPH, chairman, Department of Family and Social Medicine at Montefiore and director of the medical center's Office of Community Health. "This guide represents our commitment to addressing the health and well-being of the Bronx community, including our own employees and their families."
The booklet provides useful information in six categories:
- Basic Information on Being a Caregiver, including websites and books
- Getting the Support You Need: Support groups and programs for caregivers, online support, finding professional support, respite care
- Relaxation and Lowering Stress: Yoga, tai chi and meditation classes, books and CDs for relaxation, meditation and restful sleep
- Keeping Your Body Healthy: Healthy cooking and nutrition classes, farmers markets and food co-ops, community garden locations, exercise and dance classes, walking clubs, swimming pools
- Finding Spiritual Support: Books for inspiration, spirituality CDs, distant healing prayer, spirituality classes and retreats
- Explore Your Creativity/Enjoy Social Life: Art, music, writing and poetry classes, music therapy, choruses, hobbies and social clubs
"Caring for a loved one can be a wonderful experience of giving, sharing and receiving, yet it is common for caregivers to neglect their own emotional and physical needs," said Ronit Fallek, MPA, Director, Healing Arts & Supportive Care Program, Office of Community Health, Montefiore Medical Center. "The reality is we are better caregivers when we are also taking care of ourselves. This resource guide will help familiarize people in our community with the wealth of resources that exist for them right here in the Bronx."
The "Caring for Yourself While Caregiving" resource guide is available in English and Spanish by contacting Ms. Fallek at (718) 920-6576 or PCareSupport@montefiore.org.