Montefiore in the News
Montefiore Celebrates Half a Century Of Primary Care Transformation
- May 19, 2017
New York, NY (May 19, 2017) – Montefiore associates, community partners and elected officials today celebrated the 50th anniversary of Comprehensive Health Care Center (CHCC) and Comprehensive Family Care Center (CFCC), two of Montefiore Medical Group’s (MMG) premiere primary care sites. The celebration highlighted MMG’s evolution and enduring role in the community, serving large populations with complex clinical and psychosocial needs. Representatives from Bronx Community Health Network (BCHN), a federally funded organization that also works to improve health in the Bronx and is MMG’s key community partner, joined the ceremony.
Today’s anniversary marks Montefiore’s dedication to the mission of primary care and its success. Montefiore’s primary care practices have earned the highest level of Patient Centered Medical Home status, a national model recognizing practices that improve healthcare outcomes. MMG has created care teams that form strong relationships with patients and has streamlined its process to ensure people are cared for at the right time and in the best setting for their individual needs.
“Since its inception, Montefiore Medical Group has evolved to offer more than annual physical exams,” said Andrew Racine, M.D., Ph.D., system senior vice president and chief medical officer. “By providing chronic disease management, behavioral health services and substance abuse treatment, MMG has become a gateway for patients to build trusted relationships with providers to be sure all of their medical needs are met at all phases of their lives. We are grateful to have partners like BCHN that share in our mission to improve health in the Bronx.”
Over the past 50 years, MMG has expanded its reach to accomplish the following:
- In 2013 the Department of Mental Health granted $7 million dollars to MMG for the expansion of the Integrated Collaborative Care Project, a program that continues to thrive and screens more than 120,000 patients for depression annually.
- In 2015 MMG received an expanded services grant for dental care from Bronx Community Health Network to provide fluoride treatment to more than 800 children as young as 2.
- MMG was the first NY location to implement Healthy Steps, a proven pediatric primary care program committed to healthy early childhood development and effective parenting.
- MMG has increased patient HPV vaccination rates to 74 percent through patient education and outreach while the national average remains at 50 percent.
- In 2016 MMG was awarded $650,000 to expand substance abuse services by the Health Resources and Services Administration.
- MMG’s on-going research includes a study in collaboration with Albert Einstein College of Medicine to examine acupuncture approaches for chronic pain.
- MMG’s CICERO program, funded by Bronx Community Health Network, currently provides care to 1,000 HIV patients annually.