Global Mental Health Electives
In recent years, Global Health Educational Programs have expanded into Montefiore's Primary Care, Social Medicine and Family Medicine residency training programs. Stimulated by a sustained and increasing interest and enthusiasm expressed by many of our psychiatry residents, we have developed global health electives that emphasize mental health.
Montefiore psychiatry residents can spend one month studying global mental health in diverse international communities: Each opportunity offers a unique venue to experience and learn more about differing perspectives toward mental health diagnosis and treatment, while being fully immersed in the local culture.
Residents can participate in clinical, public health or research experiences during their global health experience to gain a deeper understanding of how economic and sociocultural factors influence the health of individuals and populations. They also observe firsthand how political climate, inadequate resources, lack of health education and extreme poverty in rural, underdeveloped regions affect the course and treatment of psychiatric, substance use and medical illnesses.
In addition to working in a local community hospital, residents partner with local mental health healers and visit homes in remote rural areas to evaluate and treat patients and families.
Take the Psychiatry Residency Training Program Virtual Tour
See why so many applicants choose Montefiore Einstein
- Services and Treatments
- Outpatient Mental Health Services
- Outpatient Substance Abuse Services
- Neuropsychology Assessment Service (NAS)
- A Welcome Message from Our Program Directors
- Training Overview
- Clinical Rotations
- Areas of Intensive Training and Electives
- Current Residents and Recent Alumni
- Watch Our Residency Videos
- Resident Life: What You Need to Know
- Salary and Benefits
- Application Requirements
- Psychology Postdoctoral Residency Program
- Psychology Internship Training Program
- Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship
- Autism & OCD Fellowship
- Child Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship
- Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry Fellowship
- Forensic Psychiatry Fellowship
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship
- University Scholars Clinical and Research Fellowship
- Psychiatry Residency
- Psychiatry Research Institute
- University Behavioral Associates
- Montefiore-Einstein Psychiatry Associates