Peter D. Cole, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Pediatrics, Pediatrics - Hematology-Oncology (Cancer)
- Medical Education
- Cornell University Medical College
- Mount Sinai Hospital
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Academic Title
- Associate Professor, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Associate Professor of Pediatrics, The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
- Clinical Focus
- Clinical management of patients with leukemia and lymphoma
- Research Focus
- Improving treatment for children, adolescents and young adults with acute lymphoblastic leukemia or Hodgkin’s lymphoma; reducing the toxic side effects of cancer therapy, particularly those that can affect cognitive function
After receiving his medical degree at Cornell University, and completing his pediatric training at The Mount Sinai Hospital, Dr. Cole completed a fellowship in pediatric hematology/oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and The New York Hospital. While at Memorial Sloan-Kettering, Dr. Cole conducted laboratory research under the mentorship of Joseph Bertino, MD, studying the molecular pharmacology underlying clinically relevant mechanisms of chemotherapy resistance.
Dr. Cole’s laboratory research centers on reducing the toxicity of anticancer therapy, focusing on how cognitive impairment can be caused by the complex interaction of host factors (e.g., genetic variation), dietary factors (e.g., micronutrient and vitamin intake) and treatment factors (biochemical effects of chemotherapy exposure). In addition to a mentored award from the National Institutes of Health, Dr. Cole has been the recipient of a prestigious translational research grant from the Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation and has held funding from the American Institute for Cancer Research and the St. Baldrick’s Foundation.
Dr. Cole’s clinical practice focuses on treatment of children with leukemia and lymphoma. He is an active participant in the design and conduct of clinical research trials, as a member of the Dana Farber Cancer Institute Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Consortium and Chair of the Retrieval Protocol Subcommittee of the Children’s Oncology Group’s Hodgkin Lymphoma Committee.