Montefiore Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Meet the Rehabilitation Physicians
Sayed E. Wahezi, MD
- Rehab Medicine
- Practice Specialty
- Pain Medicine, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Medical Education
- SUNY Buffalo
- Montefiore Medical Center
- Spine Technology and Rehabilitation
- Main Location
Montefiore Weiler Hospital
1825 Eastchester Road
Bronx, NY 10461-2301
Phone: (718) 920-7246
Get Directions | View Map
- Academic Title
- Associate Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation; Associate Professor of Anesthesiology
- Administrative Title
- Program Director, Pain Medicine Fellowship; Attending Physician, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Clinical Focus
- Dr. Wahezi specializes in interventional pain management
- Research Focus
- Dr. Wahezi has authored more than 30 publications in peer reviewed pain journals, book chapters, abstracts, and posters, and has presented at national meetings. He is actively involved in several basic science and clinical studies in interventional pain management. His basic science interests include the development of animal models for pain and physiology of neuropathic pain. His clinical research interests include innovative percutaneous pain treatments.
Dr. Wahezi earned his medical degree from the University at Buffalo’s School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences and completed his residency in physical medicine and rehabilitation at Montefiore Medical Center, where he served as Chief Resident. He then completed an Interventional Spine fellowship at Spine Technology and Rehabilitation under the mentorship of Joseph D. Fortin. Following his training, he completed a Pain Medicine Fellowship at Montefiore, where he cultivated the clinical and academic development of the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Pain Program.
Dr. Wahezi currently serves as Assistant Professor of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Einstein in New York City. He is the Program Director of the ACGME Accredited Pain Medicine Fellowship. He has created a fellowship with an interventional focus and multidisciplinary foundation. His mission is to create an academic environment which fosters the growth of Pain Medicine through the investigation and development of new devices and techniques.
Dr. Wahezi is a long-standing member of the American Society of Interventional Pain Physicians (ASIPP), American Academy of Pain Medicine, New York Pain Society (NYPS), Association of Academic Physiatrists, and Eastern Pain Association. He is a nominated AAPMR delegate representative for the American Medical Association’s Expert Panel on Pain Management. Management, nominated representative on ASIPP’s expert lumbar stenosis panel and the Board of Directors for the NYPS. He is also a graduate of the Academy of Academic Physiatrists’ (AAP) Program for Academic Leadership (PAL), member of the Academy of Pain Program Directors (APPD), Reviewer and Editor for the Pain Physician Journal, and a co-director of for American Academy of Pain Medicine (AAPM) membership council. Dr. Wahezi has authored more than forty publications in peer reviewed pain journals, book chapters, abstracts, and posters, has presented at national meetings, and has given more than 100 academic lectures in Pain Management. He is actively involved in basic science and clinical studies in Pain management. His basic science interests include the physiology of neuropathic and orthopedic pain. His clinical research interests include innovative percutaneous pain treatments.