Digestive & Liver Diseases (Gastroenterology)
Services and Treatments
The staff at the Division of Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases at Montefiore Medical Center has extensive experience in many specialties. They diagnose and treat hundreds of patients with gastroenterology and liver disease each year and provide a full range of tests, treatments and clinical services.
Our Department offers tests for diagnosing a wide variety of digestive system disorders. Those tests include:
- 24-hour ambulatory pH monitoring for gastroesophageal reflux disease, or heartburn
- Capsule endoscopy, upper GI endoscopy and endoscopic ultrasounds to diagnose gastrointestinal problems including bleeding, tumors, and Crohn's disease.
- Colonoscopy to screen for colon cancer and other diseases of the lower digestive tract.
- AEC - http://www.aec-gi.com/
- NYGI - http://nygicenter.com/
- Esophageal and rectal manometry testing
- Biopsies of the liver and rectum
Therapies and Treatments
Once a diagnosis has been established, we offer cutting-edge therapies to treat their disorders, including:
- Endoscopic-assisted radiation therapy of liver cancer
- Cyst-gastrotomy for drainage of excess pancreatic fluid
- Endoscopic control of gastrointestinal bleeding
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, bronchoscopy, capsule endoscopy, papillotomy and stone removal
- Endoscopic stricture dilatation
- Hepatobilary surgery to treat conditions of the liver, bile ducts and gallbladder
- Liver transplants
- Percutaneous endoscopic gastronomy (PEG) or tube feeding
- Polypectomy to remove polyps from the colon or rectum
- Variceal banding, endoscopic clipping and argon plasma coagulation