Services and Treatments
Meet the Medical Oncology Physicians
Balazs Halmos, MD, MS
- Practice Specialty
- Medical Oncology (Cancer), Cancer - Lung, Cancer - Lung (Mesothelioma), Cancer - Lung (Thymoma)
- Medical Education
- Semmelweis Medical University, Budapest
- St Lukes-Roosevelt Hosp Ctr
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Beth Israel Deaconess Hosp - East Campus
- Main Location
- Administrative Title
- Director, Thoracic Oncology; Director, Clinical Cancer Genomics
- Clinical Focus
- Management of patients with malignancies of the thoracic cavity, such as lung and gastroesophageal cancers as well as thymoma.
- Research Focus
- Clinical studies of experimental therapeutics; in particular studies of targeted agents for the treatment of thoracic malignancies as well as translational studies focused on different aspects of lung cancer biology, such as oncogenic tyrosine kinase targeting, resistance to chemotherapy, radiation and targeted therapeutics.
Balazs Halmos, MD received his medical degree summa cum laude from Semmelweis University in Budapest, Hungary. He completed an internal medicine residency program at St.Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital/Columbia University in New York City followed by a hematology/oncology fellowship program at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massaschuestts.
While in Dr. Halmos, also obtained an MS degree in Clinical Sciences from Harvard Medical School. Since completion of his fellowship, he has been a faculty member at Harvard, Case Western Reserve University and most recently an Associate Professor of Medicine at Columbia University Medical Center in New York. There he served as Director of Thoracic Oncology from 2009-2014 and was also Chair of the Cancer IRB.
Dr. Halmos also oversees the thoracic clinical trials program of novel clinical studies at the Montefiore Albert Einstein Cancer Center and is spearheading the effort to develop a molecular testing paradigm for cancer patients managed within the Montefiore to facilitate a personalized cancer medicine approach throughout the health system.
He is the recipient of multiple awards from prestigious organizations such as the American Society of Clinical Oncology, American Association for Cancer Research and the American Cancer Society, where he also serves as a permanent review board member.