Stanley F. Wainapel, MD
- Rehab Medicine
- Practice Specialty
- Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
- Medical Education
- Boston University School of Medicine
- Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Professor of Clinical Rehabilitation Medicine, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Clinical Director, Moses Division
- Research Focus
- Dr. Wainapel is the author of more than 60 publications on a range of subjects including vision rehabilitation, complementary/alternative medicine, physical disability among physicians and medical students, rehabilitation ethics, performing arts medicine, geriatrics, spinal cord injury and depictions of disability in the novels of Charles Dickens.
Stanley F. Wainapel, MD, MPH, is Clinical Director, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at Montefiore, and Professor of Clinical Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at our Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Since joining the Montefiore team, his clinical focus has been general rehabilitation, vision rehabilitation, chronic pain, and acupuncture.
In 1970, Dr. Wainapel received his Bachelor of Arts after completing a 6-year medical program at Boston University. During this time, he also attended Boston University School of Medicine, where he received his Doctor of Medicine in 1970. He began his postgraduate training in 1970 with a year-long internship in medicine at Genessee Hospital, followed by a residency at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, which he completed in 1974. In 1982, Dr. Wainapel his Master of Public Health in 1989 from Boston University.
Vision rehabilitation, the history of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, physical disabilities among physicians, and bioethics are the main focuses of Dr. Wainapel’s research. His work has been presented nationally at many guest lectures and published in numerous books and textbooks.
From 1982 to 1985, Dr. Wainapel was President of the American Society of Handicapped Physicians. He also spent a year as President of the New York Society of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in 1991. Dr. Wainapel is a diplomat of the National Board of Medical Examiners and the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.