Jooyoung J. Shin, MD
- Practice Specialty
- Advanced HF/Transplant Cardio, Cardiology (Heart), Internal Medicine
- Medical Education
- George Washington University School of Medicine
- University of Maryland Medical System
- Emory University Hospital
- Main Location
- Academic Title
- Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Section Head, Heart Failure; Fellowship Director, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology; Medical Director, Cardiac Transplant and Mechanical Assist Device Program
- Clinical Focus
- Advanced heart failure, cardiac transplantation, mechanical assist devices, fellow education
- Research Focus
- Dr. Shin has a particular research and clinical interest in heart failure and mechanical assist devices.
Jooyoung Julia Shin, MD, is Fellowship Director, Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology at Montefiore and Assistant Professor of Medicine at our Albert Einstein College of Medicine. Her clinical focus is on caring for patients with heart failure, in particular, providing expertise in advanced heart failure, heart transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
Dr. Shin received her Bachelor of Science from the University of Michigan in 1994, followed by her Doctor of Medicine from George Washington University School of Medicine in 1999. She started her postdoctoral training with an internship and residency in internal medicine at University of Maryland Medical Center from 1999 to 2002. She then went to Emory University School of Medicine, completing a fellowship in cardiovascular disease in 2005, followed by a fellowship in advanced heart failure and transplant cardiology in 2006.
Heart failure treatment is the primary focus of Dr. Shin’s research. She is the site principal investigator for the effectiveness of omecamtiv mecarbil/AMG 423 to treat chronic heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (GALACTIC-HF) and multiple cardiac sensors for the management of heart failure (MANAGE-HF) trials. In addition to having her findings published in many reviewed journals, she has also reviewed for several journals, including the American Journal of Cardiology and Mayo Clinic Proceedings.
Dr. Shin is board certified and a member of several professional organizations, including the American College of Cardiology and the International Society for Heart and Lung Transplantation.