Blue Light Cystoscopy: Improved Bladder Cancer Detection
The Department of Urology at Montefiore offers blue light cystoscopy, a unique FDA-approved technology used to detect and diagnose tumors in the bladder.
Also known as Cysview®, this enhanced imaging procedure helps oncologists find bladder tumors more easily than standard cystoscopy, which can miss some tumors that are too small to see. Cysview (hexaminolevulinate HCL) is a colorless contrast solution that accumulates in rapidly growing cells (such as cancer cells) and turns bright pink or red under a blue light.
In the images below, the bladder tumor is essentially invisible under white light (left). With Cysview, the tumor can clearly be seen under blue light (right).
|Bladder image of hard-to-see tumor using traditional method||The same bladder image showing tumor after using new technology|
When used along with the traditional method, this new technology:
- Improves detection so your doctor can see and remove more cancerous tumors.
- Allows better disease management by removing more tumors.
Benefits of blue light cystoscopy include:
- Imaging of bladder tumors using a molecular tool.
- Better tumor visibility and more complete removal.
- Decreased rates of tumor recurrence.
- The best candidates for blue light cystoscopy are patients who are suspected or known to have bladder tumors.
Call us at 718-920-4531 to get the care you need now.