The infertility service is led by Paul Gittens, MD He specializes in:
- the genetics of male infertility
- the diagnosis and treatment of male infertility
- microsurgery and complex vasectomy reconstructions
- sperm retrieval techniques
- microsurgical varicocelectomies
Approximately 500,000 men in the United States have vasectomies each year, and about 5,000 will change their mind and decide to have their vasectomy reversed. A vasovasostomy is performed in a ambulatory setting under a local anesthesia. The procedure takes approximately three to four hours. The recovery period is about three to four days. The success rate has drastically improved with the use of sophisticated microscopic equipment and skilled microsurgeons like Paul Gittens, MD.