The Healing Arts for Associate and Caregiver Well-Being
“Health care is not just another service industry. Its fundamental nature is characterized by people taking care of other people in times of need and stress.”
- Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century , Institute of Medicine, 2001
Caring for Ourselves as Care Providers
Many of us are caregivers, both in our work with patients and in our own families. Taking care of others can bring gratification and can also bring stress, especially if we do not have the opportunity to take care of ourselves.
Studies show that long-term stress can affect people’s health and well-being. It is important both for ourselves and for those who depend on us that we take the time to relax and replenish.
The healing arts can support caregivers in many ways. Mind-body relaxation techniques, music therapy, art therapy, expressive writing, and other approaches have been studied and applied in healthcare settings as safe, effective strategies to:
- Build personal resilience
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Increase feelings of connection and positivity
- Foster supportive working relationships
- Improve empathy, performance and quality of care
- Facilitate the processing of work-related grief and bereavement.
Resources for Associates and Caregivers
- Relaxation Hotline —Take a quick break to listen to one of four brief relaxation tracks at 718-920-CALM.
- Healing Loss Workshop —A workshop retreat for Montefiore healthcare professionals to help you process loss you have experienced in both personal and professional contexts.
- “Caring for Yourself While Caregiving” Guide —A resource guide in English and Spanish to help people caring for a loved one also care for themselves.
- Nurses Week Massage Therapy —Special events during National Nurses Week include 10-minute chair massage for nurses.
- Storytelling Performance Events —Nurses will perform the stories they created through workshops with The Moth at special events during National Nurses Week in May. All associates are invited to attend.
- Stress Management Resources for Montefiore Associates —Learn about the Care Guidance Program, Weight Watchers at Work, Fitness Classes, Nutrition Counseling Benefit, Smoking Cessation Program, Caregiver Support Center, and more.