Anesthesiology & Pain Management
For Medical School Students
The Department of Anesthesiology offers a one month elective clerkship for 4th year Medical Students. During this clerkship, students will become an integral part of the Anesthesiology team at Montefiore Medical Center.
Upon completion of the rotation, students will be able to:
- Complete preoperative evaluations for ASA class I and II patients.
- Develop a simple anesthetic ‘plan' with the aid of a resident or attending.
- Place IV catheters and provide airway management with the guidance of a resident or attending.
- Understand anesthetic agents and their pharmacology.
- Understand the professional behavior of an anesthesiologist.
During this rotation students will gain exposure to anesthetic subspecialties, such as Neuro, Regional, Obstetric, and Pediatric Anesthesia and will develop a basic understanding of the unique issues these subspecialties face.
The initial week of our clerkship is spent at the Moses campus, where students work closely with a resident preceptor who will introduce them to our operating rooms and the practice of anesthesiology. After a second week at Moses, the third week is spent at the Weiler Division rotating through our subspecialties that are based there - the ICU, Obstetrics, and our regional anesthesia service. In the final week,students return to Moses and have the opportunity to work more closely with our faculty, and to participate in anesthetics for any procedures of their choice.
Throughout the month, students will be exposed to the basics of anesthesiology, including:
- Airway Management, including a session with our airway simulation equipment
- Goals of an Anesthetic / Developing and Anesthetic Plan
- Preoperative evaluation, coexisting disease, and choice of anesthetic technique
- The Anesthesia Machine / Ventilator Management
- Oxygen Therapy
- Fluid and Blood Management
- Basic Pharmacologic Principles
- Intravenous Anesthetics and Opioids
We also offer advanced clerkships in cardiothoracic anesthesiology and pain management.
Questions? Please contact:
Department of Anesthesiology
Montefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY 10467
Email: Debbie Lopez (email@example.com), Program Administrator