Eyes (Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences)
Diseases and Conditions
The Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences at Montefiore Medical Center is dedicated to helping patients improve and maintain their vision. We offer treatment and services across a broad spectrum of diseases and disorders that affect the eyes. These include:
- A number of refractive errors that affect vision, including nearsightedness, farsightedness and astigmatism
- Macular degeneration, an eye condition commonly in older adults characterized by loss of vision in the center of the eye
- Glaucoma, an eye disorder in which the optic nerve is damaged, permanently damaging vision in the affected eye and leading to complete blindness if left untreated.
- Uveitis, or the swelling and irritation of the eye's middle layer
- Cataracts, a clouding or opaque area over the lens of the eye--an area that is normally transparent.
- Eye conditions associated with diabetes, such as diabetic retinopathy, a disease in which changes to the blood vessels around the retina can cause vision loss or blindness
- Optic neuritis, an inflammation of the optic nerve
- Eye trauma and infections