2013 Summer Program for Clinical Assistants
A summer employment experience for RN nursing students in accredited baccalaureate nursing programs
Montefiore’s 2013 Summer Program for Clinical Assistants provides an opportunity for nursing students enrolled in baccalaureate programs to become familiar with the role of clinical nursing and to develop organizational, communication, and team-building skills under the supervision and guidance of a registered nurse preceptor.
Montefiore has a four-part mission:
- Patient Care
- Community Service
Our mission is to heal, to teach, to discover and to advance the health of the communities we serve. Montefiore provides high quality healthcare and vital services for patients and the community. Our nurses practice in a variety of settings, including four hospitals, specialty and primary care ambulatory sites, home care, school based health programs and other programs.
At the completion of this program, Clinical Assistants will be able to:
- Describe the role of the nurse in an acute care setting
- Describe the role of the nurse in relation to other members of the health care team
- Provide nursing care to selected patients
- Develop time- management skills
- Perform selected procedures and treatments under the supervision of a preceptor
- Document relevant observations and interventions
- Communicate information clearly and accurately to other health care team members
- Use appropriate interpersonal skills when communicating with peers and other members of the health care team
- Use a problem-solving approach to address clinical issues in consultation with a nurse preceptor
- Identify current trends in nursing practice
- Develop effective team skills
- Explore common themes of successful role redesign and work teams
We will provide classroom orientation and an orientation to each Clinical Assistant’s assigned unit. Clinical Assistants will provide direct patient care under the supervision of a nurse preceptor and will have opportunities to enhance the learning experience by attending educational programs throughout this session.
Applicants to this program must be in good academic standing within a baccalaureate registered nurse nursing program.
- Students must have completed a minimum of 1 year clinical experience as a nursing student and have maintained a GPA of 3.2 or better.
If accepted, Clinical Assistants must be committed to work the entire (6 weeks) June 17th – July 26th. No time off will be given during the program.
- You will be assigned to a preceptor for the duration of your employment at Montefiore.
- You will work the same shift and schedule as your preceptor, including two weekends per month and holidays (Three 11.5 hour shifts per week). Shift is 7:00 am-7:30 pm.
- Clinical Assistants are paid bi-weekly and are not eligible for sick or vacation days, shift differential, or premium pay days.
- You must provide your own housing and transportation.
Please complete and return the application form along with the required documents by mail, email or fax to:
Human Resources Recruitment & Staffing
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, New York 10467
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: CA Program
The deadline for submission is April 19, 2013.
A completed package must be received in order to be invited in for an interview.
The following documents must be submitted:
- A letter from your school verifying that you are in an accredited nursing program and your anticipated date of graduation
- A copy of your most current unofficial student transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation from your clinical nursing instructors
- Resume and cover letter
PLEASE COMPLETE AND RETURN THE ATTACHED FORM TO THE ADDRESS ABOVE: APPLICATION (PDF)