Patients & Visitors
At Montefiore we are committed to assist people who lack health insurance to obtain necessary medical care. We understand that some health care bills may seem overwhelming or daunting, and that patients in need of specific treatments or procedures might feel hesitant in seeking them due to potential hefty costs. However, with the help of the staff at Montefiore's Patient Financial Services, our patients are discovering financial solutions, such as free or low-cost insurance and government programs specifically designed to lower health care costs.
If you do not have insurance, our counselors will assist you with determining your eligibility for free or low-cost insurance, as well as government assistance, including:
- Medicaid: This program is designed for New Yorkers who cannot afford to pay for medical care funded by the state and federal government. Medicaid may cover you if you have high medical bills, you receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or if you meet certain income, resource, age or disability requirements. If eligible, Medicaid will cover expenses such as: hospital care, doctor bills, nursing home coverage, home care and prescriptions.
- Child Health Plus: Depending on your family's income, your child may be eligible for Children's Medicaid or Child health Plus. Both are available through dozens of providers throughout New York State. Families with somewhat higher income pay a monthly premium.
- NYS Market Place (Affordable Care Act): You may be eligible for a Qualified Health Plan (QHP) which you can apply for during the yearly enrollment period. If eligible you may qualify for a tax credit which can be applied towards your premium.
Insurance options changed after the Affordable Health Care Act passed. There will now be a plan available for those who have a pre-existing condition (Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan -PCIP). HealthCare.gov provides you with insurance options, eligibility information, common questions and healthcare management tips.
Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, otherwise known as the Affordable Care Act, every state is required to have its own Health Insurance Exchange for health coverage. Click here, for more information.
Qualifications for these programs are constantly changing. Even if you did not previously qualify for a specific plan, your status may have changed.
If you have health benefits that do not adequately cover your medical expenses, we can work with you to arrange a manageable payment plan. Additionally, if you do not qualify for free or low-cost insurance, we will help you obtain a reduced fee based on your income and family size for emergency services rendered or medically necessary procedures through Montefiore's Financial Aid program.
When visiting the Montefiore Financial Aid office, please bring your latest proof of income (i.e. last 4 weeks pay stubs or letter from your employer). If you have any questions, please contact a counselor at 718-920-5658. Montefiore's Medicaid/Financial Aid representatives can lead you through the entire process and are available at all hospital locations.
Family Planning Benefit Assistance
Family Planning Benefit Program is a program for New Yorkers who need family planning services, but may not be able to afford them. It is intended to increase access to family planning services and to enable individuals of childbearing age to prevent or reduce the incidence of unintentional pregnancies.
At all our locations, we provide assistance with the Family Planning Benefit application. This program is available to male and female citizens in the 10-64 age group. Services include:
- Most FDA approved birth control methods, devices, and supplies (e.g., birth control pills, injectables, or patches, condoms, diaphragms, IUDs)
- Emergency contraception services and follow-up care (Plan B is covered)
Male and female sterilization
- Preconception counseling and preventive screening and family planning options before pregnancy
The following additional services are considered family planning only when provided within the context of a family planning visit and when the service provided is directly related to family planning:
- Pregnancy testing and counseling
- Comprehensive health history and physical examination, including breast exam and referrals to primary care providers as indicated (Mammograms are not covered).
- Screening and treatment for sexually transmitted infections (STI's)
- Screening for cervical cancer and urinary tract or female-related infections
- Screening and related diagnostic laboratory testing for medical conditions that affect the choice of birth control, e.g. a history of diabetes, high blood pressure, smoking, blood clots, etc.
- HIV counseling and testing
- Counseling services related to pregnancy, informed consent, and STD/HIV risk counseling
- Bone density scan (only for women who plan to use or are currently using Depo-Provera)
- Ultrasound (to assess placement of an intrauterine device)
If you are eligible for FPBP, you will receive a Benefit Identification Card, which must be used when you need the medical services indicated above.
Montefiore Westchester Square
Montefiore Medical Group
Castle Hill Family Practice
Comprehensive Healthcare Center (CHCC)
Comprehensive Family Care Center (CFCC)
Family Care Center
South Bronx Heath Center
University Ave Family Practice
Please check the list of documents required to apply for Medicaid. If you have any questions, please contact 718-920-5899. Click here to download checklist (PDF).
If you would like additional information on Medicaid or other government programs such as SNAP (formerly known as Food Stamps), WIC, HEAP, School meals, etc. please visit:
For more information on changes or laws please visit: the governor of New York's website.
If you are not eligible for Medicaid and have a hospital bill, please see our financial aid page.