Meet the Family Care Center Physicians
Suzette O. Oyeku,MD,MPH
- Practice Specialty
- Medical Education
- New York University School of Medicine
- Childrens Hospital Boston
- Childrens Hospital Boston
- Main Location
The Children’s Hospital at Montefiore
3415 Bainbridge Avenue
Bronx, NY 10467-2403
Phone: (718) 741-2450
Fax: (718) 654-6692
Get Directions | View MapMontefiore Medical Center
111 East 210th Street
Bronx, NY 10467-2401
Phone: (718) 920-4321
Get Directions | View Map
- Academic Title
- Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
- Administrative Title
- Chief, Division of General Pediatrics
- Clinical Focus
- Suzette Oyeku, MD, MPH, provides pediatric primary care and inpatient care at Children’s Hospital at Montefiore. Dr. Oyeku has particular expertise treating children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. From 2006-2011, she was the sole general pediatrician for children with sickle disease at CHAM’s Pediatric Sickle Cell Program, where she worked alongside her hematology colleagues.
- Research Focus
- Dr. Oyeku focuses on improving quality of care for children with chronic conditions, including sickle cell disease. Her goal is to help to eliminate racial and ethnic disparities in health care. Dr. Oyeku has expertise in health services research, implementation science and the use of quality improvement methods to disseminate effective care strategies and improve care and patient outcomes for children with sickle cell and other chronic diseases. She provides strategic leadership to a national collaborative to improve care for individuals with sickle cell disease at fifteen sites across the US.
Suzette Oyeku, MD, MPH, is a general pediatrician and health services researcher. She is Associate Division Chief for Academic Affairs within the division of general pediatrics at CHAM. In this capacity, she oversees a broad array of activities, including stewardship of divisional research initiatives and faculty development activities.
In addition to general pediatrics, Dr. Oyeku has particular interest in Quality Improvement, sickle cell disease, health care disparities and faculty development and community education activities.
Since 2008, Dr. Oyeku has served as Co-Director of Pediatric Grand Rounds at CHAM. (See link: http://www.montekids.org/grandrounds/)
She focuses on reducing inequities in health and improving quality of care for ethnically diverse populations who suffer from chronic illness.
On a regional and national level, Dr. Oyeku has also served on advisory panels and committees focused on sickle cell disease and improving healthcare quality for children and adolescents. She currently serves as the Treasurer for the Academic Pediatrics Association. She also is a liaison to the American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Quality Improvement and Patient Safety. In addition to her professional activities, she is committed to an ongoing effort to enhance health education and promotion through her local church, which also informs health programming for other churches.
Dr. Oyeku received her MD from NYU School of Medicine and her MPH from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. She completed her residency at the Boston Combined Residency Program in Pediatrics, Department of Medicine, Boston Children's Hospital and Department of Pediatrics, Boston Medical Center.
She also completed a Harvard Pediatric Health Services Research Fellowship Program at Boston Children's Hospital.
Dr. Oyeku was a recipient of the Dean’s Award for Community Service from Harvard Medical School.